Found in a bunch of T stuff , any information available

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found in a bunch of T stuff , any information available
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Found in amongst a bunch of t stuff I bought , wondering if anyone had any information about it , are they good to use ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Oil sight gauge nice accessory fits all model T'S
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Thanks bob !! Does anyone know who made it ? Would it be worth putting on my 27 tudor ? Seems to be in great condition , thanks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Look for a small, tiny vent hole at the top. If clogged, clear it. With out the vent hole it won't read right . If no vent hole, add one.
I had a friend, still do, that had one unvented. when we checked his oil, it looked fine, then I unscrewed the little top cap and all the oil dropped out of the gauge. ,took 2.5 its. to bring it back up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

The downside to those, is that sometimes due to weight and vibration, the majority of the thing breaks off and bounces down the road for a bit while you continue on dumping all your oil out in about two miles. I have seen it happen a few times. Fortunately, none of the ones I have seen did serious damage to their motors. But it could be a very bad day.

That one? Looks better built than most. It may be better able to handle the vibration? But there is also more weight sticking out there a couple inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Have one just like it. The "E" on yours is the maker, Edelmann. Pot metal fitting so haven't installed as perhaps that old metal is now quite soft for a pipe thread seal and could fracture in use on shaky Model T's. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Travis' appears to be brass unlike yours, Dan and the "E" is in a circle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Thanks guys !! Mine is all brass but I think I'll just keep it on the shelf then , thanks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

I had one and took it off for two reasons. One was the possibility of it getting broken off and draining out most of the oil, as the other guys have mentioned. The other was that being oily and poorly lit under the car it looked like it was full when it was empty. Not a good thing.

This isn't period correct, but it's safer. You only open the petcocks when you read the level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I have one on my 27 but plan to take it off before something happens and I ruin a engine. They looks great though. Just scared of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

It seems "pot metal" items self destruct with age. Something to do with the odd chemistry of the nondescript alloys that were employed. Dan, I'd hazard the "alligatoring" on the surface of that NOS gauge indicates it's likely to fall apart to the touch at some future date. Best to keep it with the original box as a curiosity.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration