Front spring perch Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front spring perch Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I have early front perches for the wishbone above the axle. There a no holes for oilers. What years are they for? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Looks like pre 1916:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#oil1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Unfortunately, I do not know the years of the earlier change. Earliest perches did not have the boss on the top for a lathe center, and no oiler hole. Middle (early) version had the lathe center boss, but still no oiler hole. About spring '15, the oiler hole was added. The "manhole cover on a spring" type oilers were used for a couple years, followed by the hinged seat cover type along about '17 or '18. The switch to under the axle wishbone was during 1919 calendar year.

Somewhere, I have a "no lathe center boss" with an oiler hole. Which should not be. Even though the hole is well placed, and cleanly drilled, I have "assumed" that it was probably drilled after manufacture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Wayne, I have a pair of perches with no lathe center boss, both have oiler holes. Maybe a common retrofit? or perhaps a different style of later perch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Michael S, That is why I put the quotes on "assumed". I suspect that some of the differences may buck the beliefs in the timelines. I also suspect that the Dodge brothers were not the only ones making these parts (actually, that much is a fact), and that the variations, especially that lathe center boss, crossed over the "conventional wisdom" timelines a lot more than we know.
Thank you for the comments. It all helps for us to sort this stuff out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Don't forget, Ford is not the only company that made those parts! There were plenty of aftermarket companies too. There are early perches with lathe centers and without, all without the oiler hole on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

This car has the incorrect under-axle wishbone and perches, but these 13-17 figure eight shackles are correct for the no-hole perches. Man-hole oilers are not being made, but these brass ones are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Regarding the presence of the boss on some early spring perches:

* The “centering boss” was added to the forging print on 10/3/12. It was flattened on the side “nearest the centerline of the boss” on 2/6/14. The boss was removed on 5/10/15.

* The center drill was specified on the machining print on 10/3/12 and removed on 5/11/15.

I’ve seen spring perches with an undrilled boss on at least one late 1914 car.

* The hole in the spring hanger hole was added on 7/16/15, calling for a 1/8” pipe tap. The change noted the parts on hand were to be used up. The tapped hole was changed to a straight hole on 11/29/16.

Tom, Wayne, & Michael, Hope this helps answer (some) of your questions.

(Message edited by Dave_Martin on September 29, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:40 am:

I've got 2 Transue-Williams axles and both have perches without the boss. One has an oiler hole and the other doesn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Also I guess those are what's left of a man hole oiler. Their bottoms are beefier. One of those pressed steel flip top oilers would have fallen out already. My shackle is in backwards also. If the top oiler is to the rear it's easy to get to but with the bottom oiler being to the rear you have to climb under the fender to put oil in it. I don't know if Ford specified putting them in that way or not, but somebody told me that one time and it makes sense.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration