OT: Suggest Things To Do In Maine In Oct.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Suggest Things To Do In Maine In Oct.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Got some airline passes to use up by November, so we booked a trip to Portland, ME for a week in Oct. Probably home base around Portland and drive around and see the sights and eat some seafood.
We have found the Owl Transportation Museum, but any other suggestions for a quilter, antiquer, Model T owner and military collector to visit while in the area?

I'll hang up and listen. If you have a sugestion for a place and it has a website, a link would be greatly appreciated so I can search it.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Try to stay warm. :-)

You might check out the Seal Cove Auto Museum. They have a bunch of T Models, a Model K and lots of other old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Both the Seal Cove Museum and the Owls Head Transportation Museum are great places in Maine to visit. My favorite of the two is Seal Cove which is all brass era and includes many significant cars: American Underslung, Corbin, Stevens-Duryea, Stanley Steamer, FRP, Stoddard Dayton, Ford Models A, S, K and 2 lever T, Pierce Arrow, Thomas Flyer, White Steamer, Knox, Cadillac, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Robert, about a dozen guys I served in the Air Force with in the mid-sixties decided in 2007 that it might be nice to get together for a reunion, which we did in Colorado Springs. We all had such a good time that we decided to repeat it somewhere every two years. In 2009, since two of the group live in Portland, that's where we went. I just went through the photos from that reunion. Here are several of the things we did:

1. Maine Narrow Gauge RR - Train Museum. It's in Portland and the visit includes a ride on the train.

2. Portland Head Light. I suspect this may be the most-photographed lighthouse in the U.S.

3. Maine Maritime Museum. Not sure where it is, but close enough to Portland that we could drive there. Really interesting.

And, of course, if you like lobster in its many forms, you can't do better than Portland!

Enjoy your stay...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Drive an hour south and visit Portsmouth NH.
In Portsmouth go to Strawberry Bank and Newcastle Island.
On the way back take rt 1, stop at the outlets in Kittery ME and visit the Kittery Trading Post then 1A and 9 along the coast

If you would rather see mountains head for Sunday River,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

The Mount Washington Cog Railway's website says they'll still have a steam train on the mountain for the first trip of the day in early October:
http://thecog.com/schedule_rates.php
It would be a spectacular trip even in front of the diesel locomotive, as the air is usually less hazy then and the trees will be in color...just be sure to wear warm clothes though, it may well be icy at the summit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Other museums in the area are the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor, Maine and The Bickford Truck Museum in Yarmouth, Maine. If you like tools, especially old tools, check out the Liberty Tool store in Liberty, Maine. It's in an old store that's 3 stories high and with a basement full of stuff, and a former gas station across the street. Bring a real good flashlight as the light is not very good in some places, like the basement.

You might also want to drive over to Lang's new place in Baldwinsville, Mass. We visited there 2 weeks ago and had a very nice tour of the place. You wouldn't believe the T parts they have!

If you like planes, go to the New England Air Museum in Northern CT where they have a restored B-29. It's restored for display only & not flyable, plus they have lots of other planes and Copters, both military and civilian.

Campobello Island is also a nice place to visit. It's a small island just off the border of Maine and New Brunswick at the Atlantic coast. We were there a few weeks ago and had "Tea with Eleanor" in one of the cottages and it was very nice and informative. FDR's summer cottage is there and nicely restored with lots of original furniture. You need your passport to go there as it's in Canada.

Enjoy your trip!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Coming from a home brewer and if you enjoy a really good beer, you can't beat the Great Lost Bear in Portland. The wild Maine blueberry oatmeal stout is fantastic :-)

Dick Lodge mentioned the Portland Head Light. About an hour south in York Maine is Nubble Light which I believe is the most photographed lighthouse. My folks owned a place at the beginning of Long Sands and the Nubble was my view during the Summers of my youth. I got my diving certification there back in 1966.

Route 1A along the coast from York is a great ride, with Perkins Cove, Ogunquit Beach, a small auto museum in Wells, Maine and more to see

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration