Driveshaft integrity

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Driveshaft integrity
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:18 am:

I'm in the process of disassembling the driveshaft on my 1910 T. Both the axle and driveshaft are later styles, but I have the correct two piece tube and plan on reusing the driveshaft if I can. The taper end is nice as well as the ujoint end, but I noticed some scoring around the shaft at the rear, right in the area of the thrust collars. I'm planning on using one of the adjustable pinion bearings, so I will remove the driveshaft inner sleeve as well as the thrust collars. Is the scoring a big deal and does it need to be addressed, or can I use it as is? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as new driveshafts cost about $130.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:26 am:

I would be scared of it. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Me too, looks like a zillion places for a crack to start (if it hasn't already).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Bill,

I wouldn't like it on my car. Don't think of it as your driveshaft, think of it as your brakes. Besides, the Fun Projects kit uses that area, I believe, for the locking collar the clamp. The messed up shaft diameter may cause problems with the clamp gripping properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

That set-up as shown isn't correct for a '10 anyway - appears the original "distance" washer years ago took a spin around the block a few times !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

If you plan to go back to the original style bearing spool, and bearing + distance plate, I'd give it a try. How many broken drive shafts have you heard of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:23 am:

"I'd give it a try. How many broken drive shafts have you heard of?"

Bill, please don't be the first. Replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:49 am:

If it was mine, it would go directly into the scrap pile where it belongs. $130.00 is money well spent when it comes to the safety of yourself, along with the people who drive with you, that don't get to make those decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:17 am:

There are some areas on a Model T that you can improve safety and reliability and a new drive shaft complete with the upgraded bearing spool is one of those areas. Now is not the time for saving a few $'s

Fun Projects is the way to go for both!

IMHO. Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 05:01 am:

Thanks for all your comments! I was pretty sure it should be replaced but I do value the experience of others who have been in the hobby a lot longer than myself. I am planning on using the adjustable bearing by Mr. Regan and will feel much more at ease knowing everything is brand new under there! And really, what's another C note added to the pile I've already spent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Bill -- You can save a few bucks by getting John's non-adjustable bearing setup. No adjustment is necessary with that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Just a thought - is the diameter of the drive shaft at that point critical to the installation of the FP replacement bearing? If not, it could be possible to dress out those marks and see what's left.

Having said that, I'm a cheap ass and even I would put a new shaft in it for no other reason than to never have to bother with it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Im with Larry, I'd use it, although I'd probably smooth it out. Driveshafts can take a lot more scoring than that and still hold up. I owned a 1910 whose thrust washer disintegrated and one piece cut a serious groove in the driveshaft, about 3/16" deep all around. The car must have run that way for many many years before I discovered it during a tear down.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration