Water Hose Diameter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Water Hose Diameter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

What is the diameter of the water inlet and outlet hoses? I do not like red, so I will get some bulk black hose and make my own.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Paul,
1-3/4" inlet
2" outlet
I wanted to type that but I walked out and checked first.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

While you are at it, obtain the correct hose clamps too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

How about a picture of those correct clamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Think Larry is meaning the repops of the later clamps.

The rusty one is the correct style with the proper closure, note how it covers the hose under the clamp screw.

The repops of today are just made wrong, reverse of how the clamp should be around the hose.

Note the clamp split fold goes under the clamp screw. The repops don't and that is why many cause seeps as the hose won't be fully secured by the open slot in the repops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:51 am:

This is one of those places where I'll happily use an incorrect part.

A fillister head get a better grip on the screwdriver (or vice versa) than a round head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:57 am:

I don't know why companies that have made the correct parts for years discontinue them. Ideal is the company that made the correct hose clamps.
Then Snyder comes along with his so called knowledge, and offers one just like Henry made them, but they weren't. Apparently he got enough complaints from guys like me, and finally starting making them correctly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Aren't those hoses supposed to be black anyway? Seems like I've read that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Are the Rip Van Winkle car's hoses black, or red?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

I answered my own question. This photo of the RVW was posted earlier this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

?!? I don't get the difference between the original and the repro. Only difference I see is the direction of the screw. Does that make a difference ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

The tab to hold the nut from turning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

The repro clamps also have the tab to keep the nut from turning, but it's on the opposite side from the old clamp shown.
My gripe with the repros is that the gauge of metal is much lighter than original clamps. I located some good clamps of this type in the local "army surplus" store, but to my disappointment, they were not the right size - close, but not close enough to work on my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

The reproductions of that style seem to distort when you begin to get them tight enough. I prefer the wire type clamps. Look better than the modern type you buy at the auto store and work better than all the rest. I'm not driving a show car ... am not to bothered about authenticity in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I thought that the RVW had it's hoses replaced to make it operational. I do not know what color the original hoses were.

Perhaps Kim Dobbins knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

My point Rich. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration