Advice/Opinions on Edison #14 Spark Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Advice/Opinions on Edison #14 Spark Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I just purchased an NOS box of ten of the above mentioned spark plugs because I like the Ford/Edison historical connections.

I'd like to try them on my 14 but before I do, have you/are you using them? Are they just as good as the Champion Xs? Better? Worse? We do a lot of driving and touring and, of course, we like reliability.

By the way, I only paid three dollars apiece for them which I thought was a pretty good deal for spark plugs that have never been on a car.

Thanks in advance for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Holy cow, you hit the jackpot!

I have been running four of the Edison 14s on Betsy for several years now, they replaced a set of Champion Xs.

In my experience they run hotter and cleaner than Champion Xs. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Mark, thanks for the info. I thought I did pretty good on these. In the original individual boxes in the original big box still wrapped in the original paper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Marty:

I totally agree with Mark's comments.... I also run a set of 14's in our '26.

Even installed a set in the '22 Touring at the "old man's" ( Edison ) Glenmont Estate in West Orange, NJ, and it runs great. They do exercise the touring every year for the East Orange St. Patrick's Day Parade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Here's a picture from last year that appeared in the park's publication.

desktop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Wow, $3 ea. You could sell them easily for 10 times more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

I'm sure Marty will keep them once he uses them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I had these Edison spark plugs in my Kamper when going to the 2008 celebrations in Richmond.

They worked great all the way across the country UNTIL we hit the Rockies.

Once we climbed high and the air was thinner they heated up and pre ignited the fuel. The Kamper would start up and run till it got to operating temperature and it would then loose power and start to backfire through the carby and overheat.

I had to change to a plug with insulation down to the end of the centre electrode to overcome the problem. Kamper ran perfectly after that.

I'de used Edisons for years but in Australia we don't have any really high mountains and it never occured to me it would be a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Peter:

Just a question .....

Overheating ?? did you richen the mixture to overcome ?

Changing to a new set of spark plugs will indeed change engine performance.

If your Edisons were cleaned at the time of your problem, would your problem be eliminated ?

Plugs have to cleaned at times due to oil burning, re-gaping, carbon buildup, quality of gasoline issues.... normal running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Constantine and Bob, you betcha I'm keeping them!

I'll probably keep 8 (one set as a spare pair) and sell a couple to recover my costs. Heck, if what you say is correct about the cost per one, Constantine, I'll make a profit!

I paid about $40, which included shipping, off the TBay. I was the only bidder, which really surprised me.

Given the above comments, I think I'll try them on the 14.

Are they supposed to be gapped any differently than Champion Xs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Mine are gapped at 0.030, but I'm running a Truefire and I have a Regan kit in my coil box. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Marty,

I've had one in my Roadster for 25,000+ miles.

(The other 3 were a Champion 25, Champion X & Cross Country. I like variety!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Marty:

Gapped the Edison's at .025"

Runs better for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Our 26 Runabout with Edison 14's

desktop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Bob,

I was staying with Bill Barth in Trinidad CO when this happened. Bill knows more about T's than anyone else, an he was scratching his head on this one.

We went through the whole car, checked fuel, I changed the spark Plugs to my spare set ( a new set of Edisons) and we even swapped out the coils for a distributor. Nothing made any difference.

I wasn't till we sat back and took note that the car ran perfectly until it had been running for about 15 minutes before it started backfiring. We had to get out of his garage drive down to the main road and drive a few miles before the problem started.

It had to be the plugs were so hot they were igniting the fuel before the inlet valve closed.
He left me and the car down on the main road and went back to his garage.

Bill found 4 old plugs which had the insulation over the center electrode and we drove the car up and down the road for miles and -nothing- so the Edisons went back into the tool box.

That was one of only about 3 minor problems ( except for 4 flat tyres) I had in 10,000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:55 am:

A richer mixture will help cool things down.

True, the Edison 14's are a hotter plug, more
porcelain insulator twards the electrode tip would indicate a "cooler" plug.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration