New respoked wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New respoked wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Just received my respoked wheels from Noah Stutzman. It took 2 month, but I think well worth the wait. I have missed driven Beatrice greatly. I would like to match the old oak finish with the rear wheels. I'm going natural wood. Recommendations for the stain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Cherry or Mahogany would be my suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:00 am:

I didn't use any stain when I did mine. The first coat was 1/2 marine spar varnish, 1/4 boiled linseed oil, and 1/4 turpentine. Next three coats 3 full strength marine spar varnish, sanding with a Scotch Brite pad between each coat. I don't use urethane varnish. Been there, done that...not as durable. I wished I had applied a paste wood filler to the wheels before finishing to fill the open grain wood rather than letting the varnish do that. I could not find it in Wichita. I go to a real paint store to buy paint/varnish. I've had bad luck with the chain stores and popular lumber yards paint/varnishes. Using the finish as described above gave me the golden glow on the wood without stain that I was looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Sikens Cetol marine finish. Its probably the best long lasting finish you can buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:52 am:

On my wheels I used a golden oak stain and covered with spar varnish. You can see it in my profile picture. They have darkened a little since the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Those new spokes look great. I'm not familiar with Noah Stutzman. Is this a forum member or a distributor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Just curious, it looks like new hubs and rims as well. What did that set you back? I am on 100 year old wheels.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

David, he's an Amish wheelwright in Ohio. He has a great reputation for doing excellent work reasonably priced. He made the new wheels for my runabout. I sent him the metal parts, bought at auctions and swap meets, and he assembled the new wheels.

If I had it to do over again, I would NOT prime the metal parts. I'd shoot them with the same paint I used on the finished wheels. Whatever you use will get dinged, and a lighter colored primer will show glaringly. After removing the primer, I used appliance epoxy enamel which needs no primer. Dings are easily touched up if they're visible.

Here are some of the wheelwrights who do Model T wheels:

Anderson’s Wooden Wheels
Dale Anderson – Owner-Operator
Box 1433, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Canada S6V 5S9
Phone (306) 763-4049
Fax (306) 763-4018
dale@anderprop.com
http://www.anderprop.com/ww_index.html

Calimer's Wheel Shop
30 East North St.
Waynesboro, PA 17268
(717) 762-5056
http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Johnson's Wood Wheels
300 Ingleside Drive*
Ardmore, OK 73401
(580) 220-1001
http://www.woodwheels.com/
*Mail only; contact for shipping address

Stutzman Wheel
33656 County Rd 12
Baltic, OH 43804
(330) 897-1391

Vintage Wheel Shop
George Garrigan
19842 Via Redondo
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 533-0468

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Robert, your question is of great interest to me.
Tim, that was funny. :-) Mr J, your softening. No mention of Henry and God intending them to be black... Hehehehe! :-)
Eh Hem.
The finish put on the wheels on my 18 have just about 40 years of aging and darkening (sitting in sheds) and is a beautiful color. To me.
A front wheel and felloe has terrible run-out inside the rim and gives a gentle lumpity-lump bounce to the car and I've considered sending the fronts or some replacement parts to Mr Stutzman or one of the other wheelwrights and wondered about coloring to match also.
Fresh wheels are very bright in color.
Would you show a pic of your rear wheels?
I was looking at spoke colors again just now over on Warren's "Who needs a Ruckstell?" thread.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/794234.html?1506718405
Two nice spoke colors shown there. Oops! Three nice colors... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Duey, I'm still annoyed by the modern fad of "natural" wheels (plus everything before 1960 wearing wide whites), but why

.......................:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I know that I will fill safer motoring the corners with these front respoked wheels. I'll go with el natural with the finish, and some new ball bearings.
Duet C. My rears are old oak dark. I'll post picture tomorrow.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Robert, it is easier to control the depth of colour in the stain by mixing compatible stain into the finish material of your choice. The colour gets darker in steps as you apply subsequent coats of varnish. Just coat until you are happy with the match.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I like a bit of wood showing. I favor the 'black paint worn down to the wood, that is now has an oil soaked patina. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

I blended two colors of "Old Masters" stain (which I purchased from the local Aboffs store), "Crimson Fire" and "Rich Mahogany." -I wiped on two coats on consecutive days and then followed that with about ten coats of Epifanes high gloss clear varnish (marine spar varnish with UV protection).

The wheel turned out very rich and buttery looking without being too dark. -Here's a photo of it. -

If you like, I'll e-mail you Chip Button's directions for properly applying the varnish. -Just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Old_Masters_Wiping_Stain_p/11111.htm

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/epifanes-clear-varnish-p-12350.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration