What is this cowl?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is this cowl?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Wondering what the cowl is in this picture of a speedster... I really like it.

https://goo.gl/images/h3VZmg

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Looks like a personal design to me. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Your right Matt, just found an article and it says he made it.

How hard would something like that be to make you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Without seeing pictures of exactly how that one is made, the easiest way to make one in that shape would be with two wooden formers (a mostly solid one for the firewall and a mostly open one for your legs to go through) with a wrap of metal screwed to the top of them.

Beyond that you could get into welding something up, or using a period firewall, or rolling a bead in the rear edge or any number of things. My take is that most period speedster pictures show a fairly rough car and my general motto on these things is that perfection is the enemy of completion, hence my suggestion above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

These old photos illustrate how I made the cowl for my Speedster. Flatbar was bent to fit the firewall and dashboard. then a cardboard template was made and traced out on the sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

The sharp edge needs to be addressed. I slit electrical conduit and slipped it over the edge. The firewall side was bent around the flat bar.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Awesome guys, thank you!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration