Speedometer Swivel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedometer Swivel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Does anyone know of a reliable rebuilder of a Stewart speedometer swivel that goes on the right front wheel? The one I have has a lot of play in the swivel joint. Would like to know a rough estimate & turnaround time?

Thanks,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

The best guy for the job is Russ Furstnow, he's done several for me and know what he's doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Willis, as far as I know, there is no supplier for Stewart speedo swivel casings. The gear sets are available, at great cost, but worn/cracked housings can only be got around by finding good originals. The one saving grace is the potmetal housings are interchangeable from a number of different applications, so replacement gears to suit a T can be fitted.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:59 am:

The casings appear okay. I assume there are bushings inside that are worn out? I can't seem to figure out how to get it apart? I saw that the gears are available and if I knew what I was doing, I'd do it myself. Are there no bushings inside and what's worn is the casing itself?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Willis, The two halve of the swivel are held together in two distinct ways. They both have a central shaft. The earlier ones have a collar, which is a press fit, in place at the bottom. In service these collars sometimes came loose/off o things were changed. Later swivels had a threaded shaft which screws into the lower casing, and this is held in place with a lock nut. These are much easier to take apart.
Wear will be wherever the two housings were able to move or the internals moved in them. There are no bushings. That said, bushings may be the way to fix worn parts. Be very careful with potmetal components. They can be very fragile.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Buy the book on Speedometers. It contains step by step instructions for rehabbing a swivel. Lots of great info in there to help make sense of all the various mounting hardware, etc.
Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Willis, If you are going to Hershey next week, stop by the "T" booth. I bet Russ will be there to talk speedometers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Hi All, Unfortunately, I won't be at Hershey this week :>( but I do have many swivel parts, new gears and I do rebuild swivels. Also, I welcome anyone to call/email and discuss speedometers! I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Well, I finally got around to disassembling the swivel and all parts are still in very good slightly worn condition. My trouble now, due to my poor eye sight, is I did not see where the two tiny shim washers came out from. After disassembly, there were these two very thin washers on the table! I assume that there belongs one on both ends of the intermediate gear? Can someone confirm my theory? Or was one on either end of the intermediate gear and one on the outside bolt head?

Thank you for your time,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Willis, without resorting to pulling a swivel to pieces to check, I believe the two shims go behind the gears on the input and output shafts. I think they are there so that the thrust on those gears is not transferred directly onto the potmetal casings.

I could be wrong, again.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Allan,

Upon inspection, I did not remove the input shaft or the output shaft from there housings. I just parted the two housings and had the intermediate shaft free. So, these two tiny washers could only come from the bolt that holds the two housings together. We have three places these tiny washers could come from. Either end of the intermediate shaft or on the bolt head on the outside of the output shaft housing. That is where I am at now.......

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Russ

My speedometer is slow returning to zero, kind of gummed up. Could I spray it with tuner cleaner and what would be the best to lube it after that?

Thank you in advance, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:18 am:

I'd like to publicly thank Russ for what he does for our hobby. I don't know how he finds time to do what he does so well. Take notice of how he not only responds to questions asked on here but welcomes inquiries by phone/email which I'm sure take time out of his rebuilding tasks to help total strangers.

Thank You Russ for helping us all, you go above and beyond and our world is better for it.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Bill,
I would disassemble the unit and clean all the parts. Be very careful with the pot metal pieces. I hope this helps. Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:29 am:

Be very cautious of using spray tuner cleaner as some of them can destroy the decals on the odometer drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Bill, Dan is right. I should have added that the strongest cleaner you should use to clean a speedometer is mineral spirits. Sorry for the omission. Russ Furstnow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration