1923 Model T help with keeping her running!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 Model T help with keeping her running!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Adams on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Hey y'all,

So I'm 23 year old working on restoring my grandfathers '23 T, and I'm running into some trouble with keeping her going. Decided to post on this forum since you all know much more than I do.

Its been in storage for about 20 years and starts, runs perfect for about 5 minutes (driving too) then wants to shut off. After a few minutes sitting I can get it going again then to have it shut off after another 5 or so minutes. I'm starting to think its starving itself of fuel or the carb is gummed up?

Things I've done already:
-Four new coils
-New timer
-New sediment bulb
-Blew out gas line with compressor
-Oil change
-Repacked water pump

So as of now is it looking like a carburetor issue?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Welcome Andrew!

I would be very suspicious of a fuel flow issue, assuming that there is no overheating involved.

Fuel flow issue could be a blocked fuel filter (if you have one, get rid of it) or a sticking float valve in the carb. Either is possible with a car which has set for some time. Both are easy and not too terribly spendy to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Check to make sure your gas cap has a vent hole in it. I recently talked to someone with a similar problem and their new gas cap came without a vent hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Gas could be the problem. If you put new ethanol gas in, it could be dissolving old tank sealer and partially plunging the line. It also could be old gas varnish problems.
These are just 2 guesses.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Sure sounds like fuel. I would take the carb apart after you check the fuel line. Jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

What these guys said above Andrew and like Scott said. Welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Pull the gas line line off the carb and let it run. If the flow slows down its pointing toward the line, sweet potatoe or tank restricting the flow. If not pull and clean the carb. I've had similar issues with crud in the tank. Back fires through the carb showing a lean condition. Let sit few minutes and it flows enough to fill the carb bowl them runs until the gas line can't keep up and Starts backfiring again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Welcome to the forum Andrew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Ditto the fuel system. I had issues at the tail end of my r5 mile run to the storage unit last fall. In the spring i listened to the forum help. I pulled the sedimate bulb and cleaned the filter... although it was clean. Then pulled the carburator, who led out the bowl, swapped the rubber tipped needle and seat with a prepped old metal one, then pulled the main adjusting needle (the one on top, adjustable from the dash)c and blew out the hole (This was likely the problem). I reset the needle 1 1-2 turns from lightly bottoming out, adjusted the float, and re-assymbled. 20-30 minutes. After a prime, it took right off. After warming up for about 5 minutes, I re-adjusted the main jet... MAYBE 1/4.... and found the sweet spot. It's been Nirvana, since. :-)

BEST of luck... and glad you're in the game!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Welcome to the forum Andrew-- you will find a wealth of information here. I agree with others that it seems to be a gas starvation issue. Follow the gas line/ carburetor cleaning suggestions and you should be good to go. I live North of you in Frankenmuth and work on these model t cars as a hobby . If I can be of help give a shout. Good luck. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:04 am:

What you can do to prove a fuel flow problem (I agree with the posts that point to a fuel delivery issue) is to set up a temporary tank on the cowl and run a temporary fuel line to the carburetor. You will have to start the fuel flow by siphoning unless you have a container with the fuel outlet on the bottom. An old lawnmower tank will work for this. If the engine runs fine for an extended period of time you have narrowed the problem to the tank and fuel lines. Welcome aboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Adams on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions and help. I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and it seems to have a strong steady flow. So I have taken the carb off and am working on cleaning it out and replacing the gaskets since it seems to be leaking around the top of the bowl.

Thanks again for the help and I will let you all know the outcome when finished!! Hoping for the best!

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

One puzzle piece in place: no fuel should be reaching the top of the bowl. That gasket only holds back splashes, and is not intended to be submerged...you have a malfunctioning float valve. That's the thing the float tab is pushing against.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Adams on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Hello everyone,

So I cleaned out the carb and got the float valve unstuck. Seems it had some crud on it since it sat so long. Cleaned out the rest of the passageways as well and installed it back on the car.

Car started right up after a few primes and is running perfect at idle and high speeds! One thing I noticed tho, is the mixture control stick is moving and leaning itself out and then wanting to stall when the car hits bumps on the road. Has anyone else dealt with this? And if so, how did you stop It from moving itself?

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

You may be able to tighten the packing but on the mixture control needle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Nut.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration