Front crankshaft rope seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front crankshaft rope seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Hi Guys

We are just working on final assembly of a couple of Canadian engines ( 1922 1926) and have found the 3012R rope seal we have bought from Langs sits quite a way out of the seal groove.
should I look at getting the 3012RE seal instead or does this pack down when assembled against the crankshaft?
We just do not want to damage the front plate or anything else trying to assemble with a seal that is just too big.

I look forward to your replies

Glen McConachie
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

I have never been able to make that rope seal that Lang's sells fit in any engine. Don't know why they can't sell the right thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I use the Model A type "rope" seal. After I get it seated using a socket about the same diameter as the crank and hammer it down into the groove on both pieces, there is more then what is needed sticking up on the ends. I trim them back about 1/8" above both the cover plate and crankcase. Remember the pan gasket fit in between them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

I use them all the time. They work very well, follow Mark's advise and you should not have a problem. Once the seal is seated I give it a light coating of grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Again, how can we help you when you fail to mention the year of your car. Yes, a Model A rope seal works fine on the late T's, but not the early ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Larry, he is not working on a car. He is working on a couple of engines 1922,1926.'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Not hyjack this thread
Anyone ever use the neopreme seal some vendor sell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 01:10 am:

I used the same socket method on Derrick Pang's engine. Saw the way Mike Bender shows on his video series .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:57 am:

The fat A model rope seal is usable on late non generator motors as well as the generator types. As Larry pointed out, earlier cars had a smaller seal groove in the casting.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:01 am:

The fat A model rope seal can be used on late non generator engines as well as the generator types. Earlier engines had narrower seal grooves cast in the timing cover.The A model seals do require trimming.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Now is a good time to suggest that you also install a modern oil seal on the outside of the front cover if you want to stop that oil from wicking through that rope seal. Some people use the neopreme seal inside like Bob posted but I prefer it on the outside so the cover comes off easier later.

There's a lot of posted info how to install that seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

DUH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Larry,

Was that necessary?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration