National drive your Model T day today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: National drive your Model T day today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:31 am:

I heard about this awhile ago, but haven't since. Well I don't need an excuse, I'm on my way,I have only driven about 200 miles this week,never enough time behind the wheel of T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I'll be driving mine, and I didn't even know it was its "special" day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Went to get the T out, sky is black and sudden wind, storms coming, guess I'll wait until it passes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Dan, it's supposed to be nice tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Darn it! I thought it was yesterday. 28 mile round trip for dinner. Sunset was great and moon was bright when we got home. Heater quit working when the sun went down. The wife was getting cold so I told her to slide over next to me and I would keep her warm. Soooo, she slid over 1/4" and we were side by side! 26 roadster. Nuff said. Thanks for reminding me , now I will have to drive it today also!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Kewl !! I needed an excuse. Supposed to rain, but hey, I already strapped on the side curtains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Going out in mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Huh. I have always made a point of driving a Model T on October 1st, as that was the day in 1908 when the Model T was first introduced to the public.

As Dan declared above, I don't need an excuse to drive a T. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

I just got back from a 15 mile drive in Betsy, the weather was gorgeous! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Went to the local corn maze...got lost in the maze, had fun, ate wonderful (hormone free) beef for lunch and came home. Just another day in paradise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Can't do it, I'm at Hershey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Larry, glum a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Larry, will you be checking out the AACA museum library sale? I think it is on Tuesday at the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

I like Bill Harper's Oct. 1st tradition. I think I'll join in tomorrow as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Drove the 20 Roadster to the "Fireball Run" entrance into our town on Friday night. Gave a gentleman driving a Delorean a ride in the T but didn't get a ride in his Delorean :-) Went to an auction today and got a few engines, headlight lenses, a tranny, and some other stuff. Gonna drive the car to church tomorrow and to a club potluck after church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Drove the Rajo speedster 168 miles yesterday, almost all backroads, old stage roads, and former roads. This was the first time I took car "off road" through White's Gap, north of Paint Rock Valley on the Alabama-Tennessee state line. Flawless!

Pictured is the speedster at Bill Robinson's favorite bridge, on Upper Hurricane Creek Road, New Market, AL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

I wish that I could have driven my model T today, but it wasn't ready. I did finally get the steering back together this afternoon, but I didn't have time to drive it. It is now ready to go however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett, Oak Park, Calif. on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Going driving at 3 pm today....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Just got back from our Model T World Tour today in Nova Scotia Canada. A beautiful day for a drive in our "T". Some friends came along as we sought out some pumpkins, peaceful roads and food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

I went to test drive Rufus 26 rpu after changing the carb out for a fresh rebuilt NH. Did great but it was early today and I didn't know it was drive your T day. At least I go to drive it. Next week is 77 hours at work. Had to have something to think about at work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

I missed yesterday but sure made up for it today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Got my drive in yesterday, today, and heck, almost every day this week for that matter! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

I drove my T today 323 miles stoped before dark.
Yesterday was a 332 mile day.
My GPS says 377 tomorrow . Not enough daylight for that😩

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Schlep'n Sunday....
Before: Frank loaded up for a little party... with a couple new friends visiting from Bavaria.... .... and loaded up after... with all the empties, beer tappers, etc...

Was a 45 min drive across 'town'... from west did of Detroit, to the east side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:28 am:

Well, I never got the word that Saturday was a National Day of Model T driving. I was working and it was rainy.

I make a point of celebrating the Model T on October 1st of each year (that is the date when the FoMoCo debuted the T to the public) with a drive if it is not raining.

Today we were blessed with a CAVU day and temperature around 70. For the non-aviation folks: Ceiling And Visibility Unlimited. Not a cloud in the sky and low humidity resulting in a deep blue sky. A fantastic glorious day.

I am leading a tour for the Central New Hampshire Model T Club on Sunday October 15th. I had the route mostly "mapped out" in my head and today I played pathfinder to confirm that the roads are "T" friendly. Most of them are, but I will have to tweek my plans a bit. One section is just too rough and, while I passed through without any trouble, folks with nicer cars would probably protest.

It will be about 80 miles in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts. Lots of hills, perhaps 15 miles of dirt roads, most of the roads are secondary with little traffic, and wonderful scenery. Right now most of the foliage is still rather green, but in two weeks time that ought to all turn to a blaze of color.

If you will indulge me, I will share a few pictures which I took today. Enjoy, Bill.

This arch bridge was built by and for the Cheshire Railroad (the tracks were above) about 1848.

One of the many sections of dirt road.

Beautiful downtown Chesterfield, New Hampshire.

There ARE some open flat areas here in The Shire (Cheshire County).

Looking east from Vermont across the Connecticut River valley; the hills in the distance are in New Hampshire.

Yet another covered bridge.

Those leaves won't remain green much longer and when they "turn", Wow.

This single lane girder bridge may date back to Model T times, I found no marker on the bridge to indicate the year of construction.

Pavement, again.

This will be our lunch stop. The Chelsea Royal Diner in West Brattleboro, Vermont.

South of Guilford, Vermont

South of Vernon, Vermont.

Looking from Vermont to hills in Massachusetts.

Beautiful downtown Northfield, Massachusetts.

Covered bridge in Ashuelot, New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:27 am:

My first T was delivered Saturday and I Took My first ever solo drive in a T on Oct 1st had no idea it was drive Your T day glad I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:56 am:

Bill, looks like it will be a great tour.Thanks for posting the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:16 am:

Were there any Model Ts out and about Saturday in Lincoln, Michigan? I was in Harrisville for a kids' birthday party and relatives told me they saw Model Ts gassing up there.

Since any old car can be a Model T to my relatives, I can't vouch for their accuracy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Tom,

The Casual T's Chapter had a tour around, Romeo, Capac, Armada area. Didn't get that far north though.

It was a cooker tour. Lots of good food! Was the first chapter tour with my wife! (she's been on lots of tours already, but this is the first Casual T's tour since we got married.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Tom,
I didn't have a T out, but glad to hear you made it to Harrisville. We have a cottage there and really enjoy the area. Nice little town. I hope to have the T ready for the parade in Harrisville next year. Maybe see you there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I thought that drive your T day was Oct 1.
According to many Oct. 1, 1908 was the day Henry Ford first unveiled the Model T.

I took the T to a car show and put a sign on the windshield that said - Ask, What happened on Oct 1 1908?

It was fun! People showed a lot of interest and there were many good questions.
One lady said that Oct 1 was her dad's birthday and he said that it was the day the government gave Henry Ford permission to begin production of the Model T.
Only one person mentioned the Black only - I explained that he was partially correct but there were other colors like red, and blue, before the very high production years when it was black only. He smiled, thanked me and said that he was happy to learn something new.

One of the weekly Newspaper guys took a bunch of pictures of the car and asked if they could put one in the paper.
When I gave him a two page write up about the history of the car he broke into a big smile and said that he was going to send it to his editor because the T deserves to be covered in a feature article.

OH - I almost forgot - The T got another trophy.
It is now 6 trophies for 6 shows!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I had heard awhile ago the drive was suppose to be the 30th. A drive both days took care of it. Any excuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Alan, Jerry,

I didn't take my T out due to the party and the rain the day before. I did have my daughter and grandkids up there for the week following the Old Car Festival and drove it then.

I took the kids out in the woods in my wife's 24. A good time was had by all. The only problems was the kiddies would scream every tine I walked outside without them. They then would point to the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Does driving my '27 Tudor to both churches count?
It was its turn........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Ok, so it was actually Sept 30, but I drove my 1919 in the Gresham Teddy Bear parade with the Kelly Creek Elementary principal, staff, students, (including grandkids) parents, and of course Kelly Cougar.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration