Battery questions for those in the know

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Battery questions for those in the know
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I would like to buy a small battery that I can use to start my magneto 1918 p/u when needed. I would like to use a trickle charger to keep it in good shape, later I will use a the hot shot kit to help keep it up.

What do I need to look for in specs and it "wet" or "dry" best?

I tried using a dry battery out of an alarm system but the trickle charger burned it up after several months. I plan to go to my local Napa to buy one if possible. Prices seem to range from around $30 up to 200. Just want it to buzz the coils when needed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

I use a 12 volt motorcycle battery. Charge it up once or twice a year. Lasts for 5 or 6 years. For my 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG102.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

I'm with Darel. It's the size of a T coil, and lasts forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I use a 6 volt sealed, lead acid battery that is used for Power Wheels ride on kiddie toys. They last for years.

I put the battery under the front seat on the passenger side of the gas tank.

It's wired with a quick connect plug so it's easy to install and remove from the car.

Charge it up in the spring before putting it in the car. Charge it up again in late fall when you take the battery out and put on the shelf for the winter.

I have also used the same batteries for running the ignition on my dad's 1910 IHC roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I would be curious to hear specifically what kind of battery you tried. Battery technology is a huge subject.
As suggested, any of the many typical sealed lead acid or gel-cell motorcycle, lawnmower, kid's riding toy, batteries should work fine for starting a model T.
SOME alarm system batteries are those types of batteries, and IF in good condition should also work fine. However, many alarm systems used NiCad or other battery technologies. And those DO NOT respond well to common charging units.
I worked for many years with communication systems and occasionally alarm systems. I used a lot of test equipment, mostly powered by NiCad batteries. They are extremely fussy about how they are charged. Properly cared for, they can give great service (for the types of service they are designed), for many years. If they are not properly cared for, they can be ruined very quickly. This is well known in engineering circles, but rarely discussed anywhere else. Unfortunately, marketing and manufacturing also do not care about it at all.
A relatively minor thing, mostly. But the number one reason that cell phones occasionally burst into flames is that the batteries are not being properly charged. And even the chargers provided with the phone are not capable of reliably, properly, charging the batteries. A known and predictable result forty years ago. We used to call that "designed to fail".

Depending on body style (RPU) and body supplier, how it is constructed, where you plan to put the battery? Just make sure the connections cannot accidentally short to seat frame, battery boxes etc. Even those smaller (motorcycle type etc) batteries can start a fire if shorted. Under certain conditions, even a 1.5 volt flashlight battery can start a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I use a sealed lead acid 6 volt 12 ah battery UB6120. It fits under the front seat next to the gas tank. I paid less than $20 for mine.

I picked mine up at a local battery supplier but you can order one pretty much anywhere online.

Here is a link for one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LRU10QA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506816893& sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ub6120&dpPl=1&dpID=51NyfaGoqKL&ref=plSrch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Ed, how do you keep yours charged. As Wayne said above, they can be finuky to charge. I will post a photo of the battery that I tried. As for the others, does 6 volt version of these work the same or worse than a 12? I will look at the Dauntless site also, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 12:56 am:

Don't let the battery voltage get into the magneto. That's what you will do if you just connect the battery to the mag wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:35 am:

i use a 6 volt lantern battery in my 1911 and has lasted for 3-4 years. cost of battery was around 8 dollars. i placed it under the floor board next to the dash on driver side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Mark,

You can charge it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G8AIMU/ref=gwm_tlc_pi?pf_rd_p=95b306d9-40cd-4 dc8-b613-fb8b6325ab4b&pf_rd_s=grid-6&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVP DKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=NFBYTY7EZHCZ8PEF32MP&pf_rd_r=NFBYTY7EZHCZ8PEF32MP&pf_rd_p=95b3 06d9-40cd-4dc8-b613-fb8b6325ab4b&pd_rd_i=B001G8AIMU

If you only use the battery to run the coils when hand cranking and switch it over to mag once the engine starts, the battery should last a while before it needs to be charged. The last one I had lasted a good five years or so without needing to be charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Thanks to everyone. All helpful information. I will try to post some photos so you can see how the project is coming.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration