Model A wheels on my 25 Pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model A wheels on my 25 Pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

My wood wheels have loose spokes and I am considering going to Model A wheels.
I would love to hear the pro's and con's of such a conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Except for the cost of the adapters, lots of 21" Model A wheels to pick from at a lower cost then T wires. But the per wheel cost to replace the wood spokes would be lower esp if you bought the spokes and did them yourself. Figure if you bought the spokes from Lang's at around 120 plus shipping (as a ballpark), the cost of sand blasting plus your time. Tires and tubes if you have 21 inch woods(wire 21 same price) would run about the same a bit more for 30 X 3 1/2 wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Don't be so cheap! Use the correct wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 12:58 am:

What Larry said. Nothing says "cheap" like model A wheels on a model T. Don't go there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Nothing says "sad" like an old car languishing in a garage because the owner fears being judged by others. If these Model A wheels are so undesirable on a T, they ought to be cheap from one of these guys taking them off...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:52 am:

Correct 21 reproduction model t wire wheels are available from the vendors for around $400. to $450. I replaced all of my bent and corroded 21 wires and could not be happier. Had them powder coated and can change tires with my hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

That is the best part about the wire wheels. The tires are so easy to change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

John, forgive me for standing in judgement according to Tim. He is right. Whatever wheels you use on your budget are fine as long as they are safe and get you out on the road with your model T. You can change them if you want in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Larry, My truck is what I call a Bitsa project.
Made up from bits from here and there. You are probably familiar with it, I bought it from your friend down the street.
Being a maiden when it came to model T's I didn't realize that it had bad wheels and the wrong front fenders. I am going to live with the fenders but would like to have it drivable for the coming winter club tours.
I plan on having the wood wheels respoked and will use them eventually.
Going to Model A wheels is not cheap by any means.
Since I am going to have the Wood wheels respoked I will need to find another set of hubs for the rebuild.
I have a set of model A wheels but the conversion kit is $600.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Model A wheels are fine and relatively cheap. I bought a set of 5 with usable tires at Chickasha for $200.00. Granted the adapters were pricey but I was able to get the project on the road and most folks, even old car guys, can't tell the difference between A and T wheels. The important thing is to get it safe and have fun!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration