Gas Tank strap pads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Tank strap pads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Riveted or not . My old ones were, the pads I have didn't come with rivets .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:03 am:

George, the 26-27 cowl tank straps were riveted and if care is taken when removing the old pads, you may be able to peen the old rivets down on the new pads. I think most people nowadays, glue the pads on. I'd use rubber cement or silicone for ease of replacing later, should that be necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 06:42 am:

I had some rivets left over from replacing brake lining on my Improved Car brakes, so I just used those to attach some rubber strips to the straps. Works nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 07:04 am:

Transmission band lining rivets worked well for this application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Ok which side should go against the tank. ??
Rolled side or flat side ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Looks to me like the metal strap should nestle in between the rolled edges, so the pad can't move away and leave metal-to-metal contact.

Make sense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Peter,seems logical but these pads will be riveted to the strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

George, I've got a pair of straps that I bought from Bob Bergstadt in Rockford. They still have the original rubber riveted to the metal and the rubber is still pliable enough to use. The flat side of the rubber goes against the tank; rolled edge side with channel, goes to the straps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Thanks Pete and Terry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration