Austin Texas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Austin Texas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I am going to Austin in a couple weeks on a business trip.
I will be there for about a week.
Are there any recommendations about what I should do in the evening?
I will be working North of the city near Research Blvd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 12:09 am:

As far as dining goes Magnolia cafe, Noble's Pig Sandwiches, Green Mesquite & last but not least Maria's taco express are all local favorites. I'll be there next week. If you've never had Texas BBQ go to Rudy's country store & BBQ. FRED THESE ARE LOCAL PLACES that the locals go to. They are no frill, cheap to modest pricing. I can't remember which one of them has this "Sorry we're open" on their neon sign but the food was great.
You won't be disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 12:22 am:

For BBQ nearby Austin is "The Salt Lick". Google it Fred,....best BBQ place I've ever experienced!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:24 am:

George House, maybe you could give Fred some tips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 11:04 am:

La BBQ east of downtown is unquestionably the very best BBQ in Austin, quite possibly the world. Don't be deterred by the line, it's well worth the wait. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Well, I'll try Terry." In the evening " huh? Not my known-for time of day but I'll try. Probably the best classic car museum West of the Mississippi will be closed then. Dicks Classic Garage in San Marcos has some incredible cars from the 30s to the 60s. Hmmmm; night life, live "bands" and drinking establishments on 6th street are popular with some people. The Cen Tex Tin Lizzie's have a monthly meeting on the 3rd Tuesday at 6 pm in SE Austin. Other than that; Austin is too wild and fast paced for me. If you want to drive 30 miles south and look at my rust and restored, and drink a Pearl beer or 2, send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

I Googled Cen Tex Tin Lizzies and they meet at 7 pm after a delicious meal of catfish at the Catfish Parlor...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 06:42 am:

Drive about 30 minutes south to Lockhart. THE BBQ Capital of Texas Choices there are Kreuz Market, Black's BBQ, and Smitty's Market. Take cash Some only take cash. All are good. There is a Black's in Austin. All Black's are good but I prefer Kreuz or Smitty's. Be sure and try the sausage rings. Order fat (wet) or lean brisket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Bob; you forgot the best BBQ joint!! Chisholm Trail BBQ is the one we and all the other locals frequent. Fred, we're 7 miles north of Lockhart. Come by the Conservatory and I'll throw some ribeyes on the grill.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Grab some Burger King and then make your way to the Ann W. Richards bridge on Congress Ave.

Get there about .5 hours before sunset and watch over as over 2 million bats (Mexican free-tailed, sadly, no vampires...) begin to come out from under the bridge to begin their nightly bug eating sorties!
Hurry though, as they will soon migrate south for the winter.

It is the largest known colony in the world.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration