Welding clincher rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Welding clincher rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Has anyone laid a weld in the space between the lug and the rim to strengthen it. These lugs seem so flimsy, when I tighten the lug nuts they bend inward. Why were they manufactured so flimsy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

The repros are welded there - I did a set of 21"s years ago and had them welded inside along the swedge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Doug, if you are doing the bolts up so tight you are bending the lugs, you are putting way too much tension on them. If however, the lug is canting because it is loose on the rim, that is a different proposition. Welding around the foot of the Hayes lug where it cannot be seen when the rim is mounted would cure that.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Are you bolting these to Hayes Fellows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

I'm in the process of attempting to identify just that, Dan - time permitting, I'm going to take & post some photos for you all to add to the discussion regarding what rims are correct for what wheels. It's been noted that the wheel felloes with the "indent" (for lack of a better description) take the separate lugs & nut arrangement but I have some questions regarding rims with the attached lugs fitting what wheels - more to follow !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:40 am:

I've noticed that reproduction 21" split rims are welded on the inside and unfortunately exactly where the tyre sits. They also have the hole for the valve to go through on the wrong side to the retaining bracket
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 05:28 am:

Doug, if you have original Hayes rims I would do this. Clamp the lug where it should be, then use a cut off wheel to v out the joint on the tire side of the rim. Then weld it. If done correctly, it will be better than from the factory. I have seen a few Hayes rims that have a lug missing. No big deal to repair them. That being said, as was mentioned above, make sure you have the correct rim for the wheel. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:13 am:

Thanks David, I did just that on one of the wheels, cleaned the weld up and you cant even tell it was done

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration