Ball Cap Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ball Cap Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Hey all, I just fiddled my rebuilt rear end back into place when I realized I forget the gasket. Digging into my gasket kit I see I have three of them. Why do I have three?

Oh, and can I get away with just cutting one to slip around the flange without having to take the drive shaft off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

There shouldn't be a gasket on the back side of the ball cap, just the front side where it bolts to the back of transmission.

You did it correctly without knowing! :-)

Don't forget to safety wire the two bottom bolts together.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/425871.html?1393081993

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Perfect! Saves me having to worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Last couple gasket sets i got two ball cap gaskets
You only need the one
Save the extra i cut in half replace when doing band job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:34 am:

Wouldn't using the second one reduce a lot of grease loss from the universal joint area?

I have always used two because they came in the gasket kit

Surely it can't do any harm as the ball is still held firm in the
mating half or am I missing something here?
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 04:20 am:

Well... if you use two often the ball and drive shaft will move back & forth as it's not captured tightly enough. If yours cannot move at all then you could use a gasket but this sounds like a rare occurrence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:38 am:

Thanks Kep. I'm going to assemble it this week with only one gasket!
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:41 am:

If you are concerned about losing grease or oil without the gasket, just smear some ultra black on the surfaces before you bolt it up. You will still get oil from around the ball if you are leaking around the 4th main, and almost all T's do leak there.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration