Show your Hood Ornament

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Show your Hood Ornament
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Hood ornaments, like shaving mugs, were often a place where the owner could express themselves or display their occupation. I research and teach historic photographic processes for a living. And so I have a camera obscura on my T. It's actually a view finder from a 1918 vintage movie camera .. and you can see an image if you look down onto the ground glass focusing screen.

How about posting your hood ornament or license topper.

Camera

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Not my car, but a photo I took of Dean Yoder's hood ornament in 2011.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Guess that's one where you want to over fill your radiator every time before you go out driving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I always thought that was a radiator cap ornament!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Running this one on my Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 05:44 am:

The kangaroo has pride of place on my mewly restored roadster. I remove him whenever I am away from the car for long.

The Merino ram is on a much heavier radiator cap for another make of car. I am allowed to keep him in my wife's display cabinet with her collection of sheep.

Hope you like them.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:30 am:

I have a flip top winged radiator cap that has a place for a badge on the front of it. Is there anyone that could make a badge for it. There are two holes for one.
Thanks,
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:24 am:

this is a copper pot still for making Tennessee shine.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Great thread !! I want to see more !! (and wonder where I can find a sheep for mine !? Should be a Targhee)

Radiator ornaments became hood ornaments when radiators disappeared under hoods in the '40s. Just a thought, tall heavy ornaments may cause the filler neck joint to fail. Make sure that's not happening so none of these great ornaments end up on the road and run over !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

The guy is not me, but a former IBM colleague.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Here is mine.

It has a wireless BlueTooth enabled
remote MotoMeter.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Funny Bob !

Here's my "Attitude" on my Racer !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

This little guy would be on my radiator cap if I could figure out how to attach it. I think it is made of lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Very,very, special one that my Dad had for our 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental.

"Chrysis" was an original Lalique hood ornament for RR and Bentley cars. Dad picked her up minus the base just before we finished the restoration of our '34, and I watched him machine the cap and fit her in there.

When we sold the car after Dad passed Mom gave this radiator cap for my Birthday one year. One of my most cherished momentos of my Dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

That's "special" for sure, Chris - superb !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

This is the one Im using on the speedster project. I am going to run a Rajo 4 valve head, so I thought it was appropriate. and I have never seen another one.

This is the one I use on my "driver Ts"

A seldom seen moto meter lock

an eagle flip top

This is one of the cheapest Moto meters they made, but very hard to find. Notice there is no glass in front or the rear of the moto meter to protect the mercury tube.

These three look like the top off a bed rail. They are actual radiator cap mascots. I used to have an ad for them but I can not find it right now.

wings ...

a different style of "dog bone"

another couple for Model Ts

couple more different styles

NOS large wings

undrilled dog bone ...

Boyce "Special" for Ford flip top and ad for it ..

w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Mine looks pretty much like this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Thanks Hal! Gave me a chuckle! Love it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:15 am:

Collection of hood ornaments are neat ... you can look at them on eBay. But what I'd really like to see .. and the emphasis of this thread .. are the ones that people actually have mounted on their model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:14 am:

An other Hood ornament from Brussel.
2755M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:16 am:

There nothing special about my radiator cap other than it doesn't come off without using a large wrench...the motometer sits on top of the wing shaped front end spoiler (helps keep all that raw horsepower on the ground ya know) and that sits on top of the hex radiator cap, all the pieces are independent of each other. With each piece being separate like this it takes a very large wrench to take it off. The cap wont come off by twisting any of the components, nor trying to twist the hex cap by had either, since I snug it on with a big crescent wrench. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

This is a cool thread! I never saw so many different antique and vintage rad caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

In case no one has seen it on the other thread that Bob Scherzer started about improvements for this plane that he makes, I'll post pics of mine here as well.Jim

plane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

This is, indeed a great thread ! Thanks, Mark, for starting it. I never expected to see a Lalique ornament on a Model T forum ! The "Lady Liberty" ornament looks like it would be a little painful to handle . . . good thing she's got those wings !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

When some one asks does it run

I just say do pigs fly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Its a little early for Christmas but here is my hood ornaments!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Now that's an attention getter ornament there...but you'd need a lanyard to the trigger to make it really scary. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Ok,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Every T needs a water pump!water pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

I could swear it's called a radiator ornament!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Larry, mine are the real deal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Martin:

That's not my Chevrolet.

It's for sale locally on Minneapolis Craigslist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Just marking territory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Kevin, shouldn't you have a carrot instead of a spud ? ; -)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I purchased this one as a rough aluminum casting for $10 about 15 years ago. One evening with a set of jeweler's files and various grits of Aluminum oxide sand paper and a quick polishing on the buffing wheel and it came out well. As the waitress at Mel's diner used to say "Kiss my grits" It went with our Speedster "22 when we sold it last year due to ill health.

Repop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:39 am:

Chris,
Tsk, Tsk, "naked" wire wheels on that PII!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

That gesture ... thumbing the nose ... used to be called "cocking a Snook"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Old timers always told me it was waving a sob at someone.
Just sayin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Just won on t bay.Looking forward to putting it on the speedster.cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Fantastic ornaments!
Mark, I don't think what I show is what you are looking for as this is not a purpose built hood/radiator ornament.
The previous owner put this one on after he removed the cap for safe keeping in a pail and the mice filled the top of the tank.
I kinda like it and it's going to stay for awhile. The neck is messed up on this rad and yet it adds to the character of this accidental photo of Lucky.
I was just clicking pics for Ed when I thought I'd sell him.
Good rad otherwise.

Lucky

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Duey,how can you think of selling a face like that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 06:54 am:

Duey ... I like it a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Here's a couple of mine.

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Ornament in the bottom picture- is that a fireman's helmet on the wing-ed babe ?!? Great ornaments !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:59 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:03 am:

At the time this was the right thing to do cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Colin, is all the bright work on your '14 (?) nickeled ? Pretty !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

This is such a fun thread I've been aching to throw my hat in the ring. This is "cheating", I've been wanting to build this for some time. Got to locate some brass sheet first. This is the cardboard mock-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

This too is unfinished. I purchased this single lion bookend with the intention of turning it into a hood ornament. It tarnished and was removed until I have time to deal with it. Now I'm undecided which vehicle it should go on.
Lion
Lion tarnished

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Hello Rich The car is a 1912 and it is all original brass which has been polish since 1960 it shines almost white,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Stay focussed guys. ;-) Show hood ornaments actually mounted on the radiator of your model T .. not collections on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

This is what is on my 26 Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

That one is interesting ! "Pretend" Motometer ? Motometer for folks who don't really want to know what their engine temp is ? Grabbing the brass ring gets you a free ride ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Hmmm,....looks kinda' like an oar lock! Not a bad idea, and lots of options for further modifications,....like maybe "crosshairs" for example. I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Dale, tell us about this ornament if you would?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 06:54 am:

I believe the ring is some part of a horse team harness. I think it would look good with a little spinner inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Hal and I use the same one.

I figure that when I drive on country roads it won't bounce the neck off my radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Steve, I always reckoned that's a likely hazard of sporting a tall, heavy ornament. Can't go wrong with an OEM cap !

Dale, now I see it ! It's the rein loop from a harness saddle, the slight off-center wear is evidence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, October 16, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Rich,thanx for the correct terminology. Now I know what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 08:16 am:

I am known for using a different mascot for each day when I am on a tour. I have a few that are too heavy for use but are fun to see if nothing else...

There’s a few Model A ones here as well including the gargoyle that I recently picked up from Larry on the classifieds section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

I usually use a stock nickeled Radiator cap. When I am going to amongst those who can read I sometime mount this atop ole Rusty!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Bob Scherzer are you still reproducing radiator cap mascots? Your work is fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Yes, John I'm still at it when I get the time. Here's some that I'm doing now and other I have done over the years.

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

I just got this one to reproduce which is going to be job and not damage the original in any way.

hood ornaments

Here's another project still not done to completion. Have sold a lot of parts to guys with this ornament that had broken or missing parts which had me going back and recasting more to complete the 20 that were planned. Bob

hood ornaments

hood ornaments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Bob, these are amazing. Reminds me of miniature Whirligigs. I see three that I'd like to purchase now if available. The policeman,the temperature gauge with cups on the bottom and the one with the two men turning the fan. I believe you said that the men turning the fan wasn't reading yet,but if you could pencil me in for one I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Bob
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

My ornament.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Dressed up for the Veterans Day Parade.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration