Benny's Home and Auto Stores Closing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Benny's Home and Auto Stores Closing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

In New England we had 33 "Benny's" home and auto stores. Pretty much the last of the general store style chains. Amazon and other online ordering companies have forced Benny's to close all it's stores this year. 733 employees all done. I started working there in the 80's as a bicycle assembler. Pictured is my 13 and my fathers 14 and my twin daughters taken the day after the store closed for good. I wanted to grab this picture before the sign is taken down. Benny's first opened in 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

It sounds like a great chain of stores. So many things have gone that way. I miss the creaky floors and squeaky screen doors on the wonderful stores we used to have. What do you suppose today's kids will miss when they get older?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I better not answer that question. Been a bad week.

Let me add, that I am profoundly saddened when I hear of things like this. Great stores, and wonderful memories that accompany a well run local business should be continued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Well there are a few modern interpretations of the old general store
https://www.ruralking.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsOOnksfS1gIVSiSGCh1vZAzXEAAYASAAEgL tXPD_BwE
I walked into this one in Gainsville Fl and went to look at the baby ducks and chickens coveralls,boots, etc. most of the ones that still survive also have some sort of website to sell stuff too and are struggling to compete with the no brick and mortar stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Matt has this right.

Benny's were all over southern New England
There ss one on the Cape Cod Highway -RT 44 - in Raynham that had lots of automotive stuff.
I got my "affordable" batteries there in the early 60's and my dad got some T parts from them.
They were famous for low prices and poor quality.

It hasn't changed much except for the prices!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Our best hardware store in the Dallas area was Turner Hardware in Farmers Branch. Westlake bought them out and promptly removed all the merchandise that made them special.

In Paris, Texas, Swaim Hardware is alive and well, probably one of the last complete hardware stores in the state.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration