Not one drop .... Thanks !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Not one drop .... Thanks !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Yesterday I spent the better part of the afternoon cleaning all the gasket joints around the hogs head / pan interface with brake cleaner. I used an old vacuum cleaner I got at a thrift shot for $7 ... sealed the hose in the oil tube and let it run to draw in the cleaner. I let it sit for an hour or two. Then I turned on the vacuum again and worked "the Right Stuff' into all the gasket areas .... smoothed the excess over with my finger and let it set over night. While I was at it I also re sealed the valve cover gasket as well since it was weeping a little.

Drove the T to work this morning a couple of hours ago ... and just went to the parking lot to check if there were any leaks. Not one single drop. There was the suggestion of one in the drain hole of the starter ... but that was it.

Thanks for the brilliant suggestion !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Mark, that's worrisome. Are you sure you're not out of oil ?!?

A Model T that doesn't leak is just sick, wrong and unnatural- like painting one white !!

Seriously, good job ! I would never have thought of using a vacuum to seal the hogshead. Doesn't it feel great when your efforts yield good results?? A lot of the fun of T ownership is in the tinkering!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:33 am:

How do you expect it to find it's way home? I might have to try that myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

I do expect to get some leaking from the clutch shaft as I didn't even try to do the O-ring seal there. Time will tell. But .. yes, now I think I need one of those dip stick accessories. :-)

Now ... the thick deposit of oil on the black top in front of the garage. Wouldn't mind cleaning some of that. It has oil from 18 years of my last model T leaking in that spot. What would be best ... steam cleaning ... some industrial greaser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Mark, now you will have to worry about rust! No protection? I guess you could paint it. Lol. Good on you with the fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Obviously "The Right Stuff" IS the right stuff. I do prefer the Ultra Black though just because of the longer working time before it cures. I love this product and tell people it's like the Flex Seal advertised on TV except better. I've used it on everything from leather seats to the tear on the top of a Model T. Works very good where you need adhesion and some flexibility.

Glad your T is giving up some bad habits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I'm sure it will eventually leak again [particularly around the clutch pedal] once I drive it a few hours non stop, but it's nowhere near what it was doing before and that's all I wanted. For this application of filling in gaps ... the quick set is fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration