More Purchase Discoveries

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: More Purchase Discoveries
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Since I bought my '25 T Roadster PU a week ago, I am going through the obvious inspections. Found I have 30" wheels although the front is Ford and the rear are Hayes. Are there any differences to the manufacturing design of the two?
It seemed as though the car was somewhat difficult to push with the hand brake in neutral. So, I pulled the Hayes rear wheels and discovered two different brake shoes. One with the two spring config and the other with just one lower spring. The single spring shoe has a lining riveted to it. I believe this probably was the 'drag' on that wheel. I plan to replace both brakes and see a lined shoe is offered. Is this a good aftermarket choice? Not sure how they are made so as not to drag when the brake is off. Also,, one wheel hub has the nuts tack-welded to the end of the bolts. Why would that be? I have a pic included on that showing the single spring shoe and the welded nuts.
I plan on tearing down the wheels and replacing the spokes, maybe the rings also. Any suggestions/instructions on this project?
Sorry for the long post. Just have a great interest in a good retirement restoration project and I will lean on the experts for guidance.
Hayes Brake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

David,

If the wheel you show is the one you say has tack welded nuts, I'm thinking they don't look tack welded, but instead, peened over, which is proper and normal. Otherwise, the nuts can work loose. Bad news when that happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

You are right. They are peened. The brake shoe lining is leather. Suppose the bolts will need to be ground down to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

In my opinion, lined brake shoes are a fantastic aftermarket choice! :-)
One of my T's has regular 16" 4X4 pickup tires on the back and the lined shoes will skid those wide tires when I want. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

You may want to check your spokes. They look a little damaged or something where they meet the metal rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

That's part of my restoration plans, re-spoking the wheels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration