Aligning the hood of 26-7 model t r/pu

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aligning the hood of 26-7 model t r/pu
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Hi folks, iam having a bit of trouble aligning the hood of my 26/7 roadster p/u The hood fits perfect on the right hand side but on the left hand side it is about 7mm out.being that the gap is too small and the side panel sits over the radiator suround.Do i need to undo the body bolts and leaver it back a bit . The trouble there is that the front off the cowel is at a fixed point being bolted to the two brakets at the front. Hope someone can help . Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

First check that the radiator mounting is correct. Also measure distance from firewall to the radiator on each side. Something is off. The hood on my 26 Tudor isn't perfect, but it is better than yours from the sound of it. My measurements are all equal, but for some reason the hood won't fit evenly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Hi John i have just been out and run the tape measure
over it ,on the left hand side the measurement was 685 and the right hand side was 690 .So there is the problem. the radiator mounting bolts look rite ,so it looks like its the firewal mountings ..many thanks Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 12:23 am:

Always start with the one thing that doesn't adjust... Level ground!! If your chassis has a bent frame rail, a low tire, or the spring tie bolt is not seated in the crossmember correctly, it can change the way the car fits together. Next time you drive your car thru a gutter at an angle, pay attention to the how much the radiator dances around compared to the cowl. These cars were not meant to fit tight...! They were meant to twist.

If you want the car to fit good;

Hang the radiator loose and align the hood to the cowl first, this will tell you where the radiator needs to be. It will also tell you if you need to push the body around on the frame. Sometimes the body needs to go left or right, sometimes even up or down to get the correct position for the radiator, and also an even gap along the sill plates.

If you do need to move the body... Be careful! You can change the way the whole car fits together. A couple shims here or there can change the fit of the doors, trunk, fenders, and even the top. So shim the body only if necessary and pay attention to the big picture.

I have never had the front end of an early car fit good without putting up a fight. My advice... Get it close enough that it doesn't bug you, and drive it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:13 am:

Hi Kevin thankyou for your imput it has been very help full. I have been out and done a couple of things that you mention in your list . It now fits not too bad thank you again . Cheers Gerry(NZ)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration