'26-'27 switch wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26-'27 switch wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:13 am:

I am trying to figure why the battery is not being charged. The first place I look is at the switch wiring.
I am running a distributor and alternator, so I do have a jumper from the Mag to Bat post.
The rest looks good to me, but I am always open to ideas what I am doing wrong.

Here is the picture of the back of the switch plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:20 am:

WHY THE JUMPER WIRE from the Bat to the Mag post that would just create a short and ruin the mag coil if you have one ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:41 am:

I am not running a mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Yes, BUT - I recharged a set of magnets for a good friend who upon finishing the rebuild on his engine & trans. assembly started on BAT then switched to MAG and proceeded to neutralize his newly charged magnets due to the previous owner running a distributor WITH A JUMPER !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 11:47 am:

If there is a mag coil and if your wire is connected to the magneto post, your alternator would be grounded out. However it would also run the battery dead and if you have a fuse would burn out the fuse and also cook the ammeter. If the wire is not connected to the magneto coil, you will need to test the alternator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

You would wire it just like a normal T with coils except don't connect the magneto wire to the magneto contact. The distributor/coil would receive power when the key is turned to battery. All you are doing is swapping the alternator for the generator and leaving out the magneto. The wire that connected to the coil box would now be connected to your coil.
Is the alternator a single wire or does it need an outside power supply to excite it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Sorry. I should say no magnets. The red wire is not connected to the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Here are some pics from when I re-wired mine. Early '27 (Oct'26)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I followed the 1926-1927 Model T wiring Diagram with Distributor, Electric Starter, Brake light and Optional Alternator. From Texas T Parts. It has a note about adding a jumper from MAG to BAT so the key can be in either direction to run the car. Has anyone wired their T up according to the Texas T Part diagram?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

No but I understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Here is the part of the diagram that I am talking about.

Is this ok? I don't seem to get a charge on the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Steve, Where is the red wire go to now, have you done a voltage check along the connections from the generator output terminal to the hot side of the starter switch or the positive terminal of the battery. Do a voltage test without starting the engine and another with the engine running. Engine running voltage should higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 11:05 am:

I will have to check tomorrow night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

From what I can see, your jumper is going from the Battery wire on the ammeter instead of the Generator wire side. That will change how the ammeter reads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Well, to give an update.
I ran it last week with the way it was.
It seems that the ammeter went positive when the RPM where really high. Going down hills and low,low going up hills.
Now I am going to fiddle with things to get it to go on the positive side when the rpms are not so high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

By the way, you probably know this, but those Nylock nuts on the ammeter aren't doing any good because the studs are too short to engage the nylon inserts in the nuts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

The nylon lock nuts is what I had on hand.
They seem to be holding without the nylon being engaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 10:46 am:

The '19-25 set up is the same, it is just a rectangular shape. George, you take great pictures. Ford's wiring diagrams are difficult to read. I like the one that Langs sells. As far as the nuts and screws, they are still available from a decent hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

I try Larry,thanks .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration