Put on my first tire.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Put on my first tire.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 11:18 am:

To me this was a hurdle I had been dreading. Removing and putting on a tire. I've read some of the success and failures on the forum and built a wall in my head that this was going to be difficult.

I have demountable rims. It took me about 2 hours to get the old tire off. After the first hour I gave up on being gentle and just got it off.

It took me anouther day and a half to clean and paint the rim.

After letting the tire heat up in the sun it took all of 30 minutes to put it on. Everything I'd been dreading never happened and it was a relief.

I've got 3 more to do. Dry rot and flaking rubber on those. No longer do I fear the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

I like your ratchet straps for a second set of hands.

Good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

I too like the ratchet strap idea, I'll have to try that next time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Me too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

James

your first tire change and you're already teaching old hands a new trick. Good for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I use ratchet straps too, they really help. 3 long tire irons from harbor freight and a jug of ruglyde makes it pretty easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

....and those orange ratchet straps are almost always on sale at HF for about $6.99 for a blister pack of four of 'em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

After recently mounting 18 clinchers tires for customers & myself, I had to give the old knees a break and built a tire mounting table - all I need now is a hunk of indoor/outdoor carpet and done ! Here's my 3 y.o. granddaughter/helper attaching the nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I don't mind takin' 'em off, they come off pretty easy for me. But I WON'T put 'em on! For $18 I let the young bucks at the tire store wrestle with 'em. And they actually like to do 'em! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

The ratchet straps are a great idea, but I have found it is even easier (thanks to a post here) to have the rim mounted on the car. It makes it easy to pry the tire off as the car holds the rim firm, and when reinstalling the tire when you have it started, lower the car to put pressure to hold it in place, much like done with the ratchet straps. The first one is hard from my experience, but it gets easier when you have a little practice. I hate to take mine to my tire shop, as they mount them for free, they even fix flats for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I use quick release straps your doing it right do it right 20 mins a tire my average
Put the tube in the tire inflate just enough make round mount both beads same time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Took off two more tires this morning. Both have been on over 25 years in a leaky barn. It was a stand-up fight. I thought by the time I got to the third one I would find the finesse a repeatable skill but no just brut strength. I did use the vise method to free the tire best I could first.

There has to be an easier way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

This is a great tire removal tool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Changing a tire on a Model T Ford is a rite of passage. -It's sort of like taking your training wheels off your first bike. -You're not a real pilot until you can take-off and land with a tailwheel; you're not a real driver until you can handle a stick; and you're not a real Tin Lizzie owner until you've changed your first tire.

And so...

By the authority vested in me by virtue of long-time residence as a Model T Forumite, I hereby confer upon you the order of THE ALUMINUM CROSS.

Heartiest congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

I swear I almost sold the Model T because of the trouble changing tires. So your suggestion of ratchet straps downs is a great idea.

And Bob C., ha ha ha that was good!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Fred, I have actually resorted to one of those tools too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Bob I thank you for the metal. It's much appreciated.

I actually used three of the ratchet straps to put on the tire and just kept rotating the center one out to where I was putting tire on with the iron. Made it easy. Didn't even use the tire lube.

Today I went to clean up the two rims I had freed from the tires and found holes in them where the rust had eaten through. The metal was so rusted and thin the lug tabs were pulling out.

Decided these weren't safe enough for my family to ride on and got two more on the way from Model T Haven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

You are wasting your time with those straps! I use the heel of my left foot, two or three TT tire irons, and a BIG rubber mallet. Experience helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I had trouble with the first clincher tire and what I found was putting the tires on the car with the rim on the car is much faster, I can rotate all for tires on the car in 2 hours. I put the tire and tube in place an and let the car down to hold it, I then use dish soap on the rim and the tires side on. This works with new and old tires. To take off the tire let the air out and let the car down a bit, this makes the top of the tire loose on the rim and it slides off nicely. with the rim on the car you have control and letting the car down a bit holds everything solid. Cheers Colin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration