Was this a horse drawn wagon body or model T bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Was this a horse drawn wagon body or model T bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

I posted this on the Stak as well.
I picked this stuff up a few months ago.
A lady had a homemade trailer in her yard for art with flowers on it. It got rotten and "ugly" so she cut it up to put in the trash bin to drag to the street. I got the call because she wanted the "metal" gone. Well turns out it had a late 20's oldsmobile front axle under it with a model T chassis rail for a tongue.
I saved all this stuff and finally got around to laying it out yesterday to get pictures. I have since took the wood off the metal parts except for the back corners of the sides so I can reference wood thickness and such.
The idea is this hardware could be used for a bed for my T pickup. I wanted to get input on what it was before it was made into a trailer.Was it a wagon bed or a truck bed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

My feeling is that it could have been any of those things. Several companies manufactured brackets and hinges for such things. Local blacksmiths also made them for their local markets. These parts could be from either of those, but more likely manufactured as I don't see the telltale hammer marks of a blacksmith. Quality on either of them ranged from very high to rather crude. After-market body builders then used these brackets for a variety of offerings. They included truck bodies, as well as wagons and trailer boxes. Sizes and dimensions varied with applications, so you can pretty much build to fit your project.
That is a great catch of good stuff! They should serve your project well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Mack, the auto parts under the trailer would indicate the item was made perhaps in the 30's or later. The ironwork could have come from a previous horse drawn vehicle, but I suspect not.

Most blacksmith made rear corner brackets have the round strut forge welded to the flat upright. Yours appear to be riveted. Likewise, the latching mechanism is usually integral with the upright on blacksmith work. Again, yours are riveted on, and appear to be factory made items.

Either way, you have a nice set of ironwork to play with. It is certainly much nicer than anything you could knock up using new material. It will give you a really nice pickup bed. It may be a good idea to mock up the sides first. They appear to be quite wide boards, and may look a little out of proportion on a little bed on a T.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Mack,

Good save! If you measure the tail gate that may or may not help you decide. The Model T pickup bed plans in the Vintage Ford (Murray Fahnestock and an updated version with easier to make hardware) has the tailgate about 3 feet wide. There is not a lot of room between the rear fenders so if that tailgate is really wide -- it probably was not used on a Model T car chassis.

Photo below shows Cliff Nordstrom's pickup box he made from his updated plans. Used by permission from the "Vintage Ford" pg 26, May - Jun 1998 to promote our hobby and club.

Your tailgate has 3 hinges which made me think it might be wider than the average Model T or 1928-1931 Model A tailgate.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

The 3 hinges, you could have 3 hinges, the center one adding support to the tailgate because it was made up of 2 or more boards. The nice one piece of wood across the back, well that's a nice modern thing but these boxes were meant to be used not for show esp if had been mounted on a TT frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Like a ninckumpoop I didn't measure the tailgate when I had all the parts laid together. I can estimate it though by what is hanging over the plastic table top.
The boards were wide,I would say 14 inches. I will measure the back pieces tomorrow. I removed the wood from everything but the ends of the side boards. it was crumbling anyway.cut up to fit in a trash can.:-(.
I am glad I saved it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Mack -- My store-bought wooden pickup bed (from the 20's) measures 42" wide x 52" long. A Model T buddy has an unrestored '21 Runabout with another store-bought bed which is the same size. That must have been pretty typical back in the day. They work out fine with stock rear fenders, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I have a nice bed for a 26,but it seems a bit wide for the 20 chassis I was going to put it on. can't remember the details.it has been a few years since i messed with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

My home grown pickup bed is about as wide as you can reasonably put on a T at 48"(give or take), or as wide as a touring body.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration