Eagle encounter on my T-ride..when did you see this last?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Eagle encounter on my T-ride..when did you see this last?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

So I was having a great ride in Pete, my '12 CRPU when I came upon this eagle enjoying dinner. Came to a full stop...zoomed in best as my smartphone can. Quite the sight!

Eagle: Okay Mr., I'll move a bit..keep on trucking.

Eagle: "For crying out loud...I'll move it some more!" ( I kept creeping up VERY slowly for a better shot)

Eagle: "Alright Mr., this is gettin' ridiculous! This is far as I go. I'm hungry!"

Eagle: "Oh for Pete's sake! I'll just take dinner over into the field...get outa here!" Author: I'd like to know how in the heck he knew my Model T's name was PETE!! LOL :-)

Anyhoo...this was quite the site to behold. He was actually very patient. Good thing my road doesn't have much traffic on it. What with all that's gone on lately, hope you enjoyed this as much as I did today! Happy motoring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Tim

thanks for a nice diversion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

wonderfull photo Tim,I live 1/2 mi [as the crow fly's] from the Conn, river,and there is a pair nesting in the big pines on the bank.super enjoyment for shure.Greg [wish i could add photos.]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Nest is in a tree 100 feet from my shop, been there for years, like 20. Make babies every year. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Tim! I thought you drove to Idaho and went past Richards place. That would be cool to.
Great shots of the eagle by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Pretty common sight up here in the Northwoods. Eagles do a nice job cleaning up the roadsides from all the critters who don't make it across the road. Never saw one eating on a porcupine or skunk though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Here in Texas, we have road vultures, too, but they are young buzzards whose head and neck feathers haven't turn gray with age! Ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

I've bagged and tagged the b*s,erds in the early 90's. They are common in the west now. Ben Franklin, as I recall, wanted the Turkey as a National bird, because the Bald Eagle was worse than a buzzard, it would kill, and eat carrion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:39 am:

We get to see eagle pairs hunting overhead sometimes. I have no idea how they choose the territory to hunt in, but sometimes we don't see them for months, and other times we may see three or four pair nearly every day for awhile. Only rarely, do they come low enough for us to see them well enough to even tell whether they are golden eagles, or bald eagles (both are in our area). A few times, one will take a break in one of our trees, and once, my wife saw one land in our yard.
I love wildlife. We moved here because we like it, and want to share the space with them. Birds, raccoons, bears, and even mountain lions, we consider to be our neighbors. Such a treat to see so close.
Thank you Tim W for sharing this with us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Here in Oz we have 5the Wedge-tail Eagle that feasts on road kill as well as other foods. They are very prevalent in the outback. Beautiful birds even though some farmers dislike them.

It reminds me that recently a tired Wedge-tail decided to take it easy and booked a flight with Qantas. At the check-in desk, the clerk noticed the large bag containing the eagle's lunch. "You will have to check that in to go into the hold", she said. The eagle replied "But I was told that I could have this many pounds of carrion"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 05:32 am:

Tim W. is this the road to Russel H. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Scott, I figured we all needed a bit of a diversion, just thinking.

Dallas I would LOVE to drive to Rich's place!

We're starting to get more eagles around here, as opposed to the NW territory where I suspect they are in abundance.

Toon, this was on my road, 3 miles from home. I can take this road to Russ's road too, but usually take the one a bit north of me.

Glad y'all liked it. Makes me happy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:45 am:

I did not realize they ate road kill. I thought they only hunted. They are rare around here. I know where one nest is. Buzzards, on the other hand are a dime a dozen. I like the red tail hawks, which are pretty common here as well. As far as I know, they only hunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Hal, its pretty rare to see them here also. Last year we had an eagle hanging around across the road. He was having a snack on a groundhog that died from .243 lead poisoning. A red tail hawk decided he didnt like the eagle taking his free meals so he ran him off by diving at him. When the eagle lit in a tree ,the hawk kept pestering him. Quite entertaining as the eagle was much bigger than the hawk. The hawk won out in the end.
Tim me to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Thanks for posting your photos Tim. It's always fun to see birds of prey.

We often are in the Sierra Nevada foothills and frequently see Bald Eagles around the various lakes. My grandson and I counted 6 adults and 8 juvenal birds in one day.

My favorite is watching the Osprey catch fish. I am amazed at how, every time, they grab the fish out of the water and immediately get it turned nose into the wind to reduce resistance. Very cool to watch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:33 am:

We have had a problem up here with eagles eating road kill deer, after the lakes are too frozen for them to fish. When large vehicles drive by, they will try to fly. The draft from the vehicle can break their wings. A friend of mine picks up all the road kill deer he can, and drops them off in a spot away from the road. It's almost a full time job in the winter months. I have mixed feelings about the birds becoming dependent on the pile of deer carcasses. It makes for some nice eagle viewing, though. If you are near Grayling Michigan in the winter, look on M93 between Old 27 and I-75. In the open area across from the Jehovah's Witness hall, you'll see the two steel fence posts that the deer carcasses are wired to. It's necessary to wire them down, of the coyotes drag them away.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration