Drive it like it dosen't have brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drive it like it dosen't have brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

need I say any more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

HOLEY COW BATMAN,think of how long it took to get that hole that size,arnt you lucky you had a spare set of brakes in the transmission. GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Sheesh! Glad you were lucky!! Dad always said "Keep it pointed towards something cheap". -Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

G.R, was it used as a secondary brake while normally driving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 01:44 am:

And THAT is why I don't like equalizers on the brakes. Lose one, lose them both.
Hopefully it was only a moment of shock and panic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 04:04 am:

Wrong moral. The correct moral is "don't let your T get totally worn out". Or perhaps "check your equipment out periodically".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:43 am:

This one was on Andy (25 touring) I am just making the car safe to drive so I have already ordered a "new " e brake handle from Dave Huson. I have only driven this one in the yard but I am very close to getting it road worthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:34 am:

This is why I like to put mine on the lift once a month and inspect inspect inspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 09:08 am:

>The correct moral is "don't let your T get totally worn out"<

It's a different world today than it was 50 years ago...Dad used to say: "Why would I replace that part; it isn't broken yet?!"

>Dad always said "Keep it pointed towards something cheap"<

Sounds familiar...Dad's dump truck, a '46 Ford, had the brakes repaired once a year for its safety inspection; and whenever they quit we just kept driving...he used to say: "PLAN your trips." Meaning look as far ahead as you can see and as far back as you can see in the mirror, and be prepared for all of the possibilities that may present themselves...in other words, "Drive it like it doesn't have brakes"...because you never knew when it wouldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

My dad's similar saying was "In an emergency, hit something cheap!"
I actually consider that to be good advice. But only in a secondary way. First, is to drive anything like you may lose your brakes at any time, because you actually could. I have had sudden brake failure several times through the years. Usually with vehicles of the '50s through '70s that had single master cylinders. A single brake hose or wheel cylinder blow-out kills the entire system. However, a couple times I have had sudden total failures with cars that had dual master cylinders that were supposed to be "failure proof".
Sudden steering loss can also be a fun time.
Absolute total reliance on almost anything is a bad idea. One should always be prepared to "grab the slack" and save the day, or yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

We used to teach that in an emergency,
First use the green stuff,
next aim at something going the same way as you are going,
Then something small that is stopped,
Next some thing big that is stopped.
Finally something that is coming toward you.

If you use either of the last two things we will have a drink in your honor after your funeral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I became aware of a truly frightening possibility with my wife's modern minivan recently.

It all started with a failed fusible link that took out all the electrics in the car. Fortunately it occurred when I was parked.

After having the car towed and repaired by an auto electric guy, it occurred to me to ask him whether the transmission will stay engaged if the same total failure occurred while I was moving. He said, no, the transmission is electrically controlled and would go into neutral if all electrical power went out.

Now, think about this: The car has power brakes and power steering and automatic transmission. If you lose all electrical power, especially going down a long hill, you will be coasting in neutral with very unresponsive steering and braking. No telling how fast you might be going by the time you get to the bottom of a long grade. With any kind of luck, maybe your horn will still work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Edit to my post above:

With loss of all electrical power, the transmission drops into neutral. Without the rear wheels to keep the engine turning, the engine stops.

Without the engine turning, both power steering and power brakes are lost. With any luck, you have one or two good pumps on the brake pedal before your revert to manual brakes. The only hope, especially for a small woman, is to get on the brakes (firmly) with the first pump and hope you can get stopped before the brakes fade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Toms correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 11:53 am:

"I felt badly because I had bad brakes until I met a man who had no brakes at all."
Rich Eagle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Richard I hope you didnt meet him by accident!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration