Loose nuts behind the wheel!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Loose nuts behind the wheel!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Sad pun...I know! But here is a legit concern that I am sure has to have been a subject of discussions.
Inspection of the wheels show that the hub nuts are night tight. An earlier owner had 'peened' over the bolt ends on one wheel to prevent a catastrophe.
My question; Is Loc Tight a good application when I go to re-assembling the wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Peening is the way they kept them from backing off in the day. I still peen mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:58 am:

I Loktite AND "stake" the edge of the bolt in several places right next to the nut with a center punch which essentially "swedges" them together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Didn't Ford peen the bolt ends at the factory? Is seems like all the old spoke wheels I've taken apart the nuts either twisted off or I had to use a chisel to take them off to remove the old bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:38 am:

David as the others have said, those peened bolts are factory correct. It was once a common way of retaining hardware where castellated nuts were deemed unsuitable before fibre lock nuts, nylock nuts and Loctite came into use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:52 am:

If you are reassembling old wheels, I personally would NOT use loctite. The expectation with loctite is that they will not loosen...neither can they be tightened if you use retaining compound. As the spokes age or go to a drier climate, they will shrink in thickness and you will want to be able to tighten (and re-peen) once or twice in your period of ownership of the car. This is one case where the old method is the best method. You will not come apart, but will retain the option to tighten...perfect, in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Sorry, to clarify I had only listed locking nuts and Loctite as industrial ways of retaining other nuts, not alternatives to peening the bolts on your Model T wheels. Scott's right of course in that with a peened bolt you can always tighten and re-peen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 11:49 am:

You can peen or stake your rear wheels, or you can use Red Loctite, which will also hold nicely. -I trust it on my rear wheels. -

For the front wheels, you have even more options available because of their easy inspection access and clearance. -You can put two nuts on each bolt and jam-nut them together, or you can use one nut per bolt and conveniently check them for tightness now and then. -Or, again, you can use Red Loctite, which works about as well as peening or staking. -The advantage of Red Loctite, of course, is that if you should ever need to take things apart again, all you need is a long wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

There are a lot of loose nuts behind the wheels of model T's. Some of us like to post stuff here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Bob C., if you use red Loctite and it is used correctly, I think you'll have a better chance of twisting the bolt in two before the nut will move. The only way I've been able to "uninstall" anything with it is to use heat to break it down. Blue Loctite will let the nut turn, if you twist hard enough. That being said, I would still pein them. Works great. While on the subject of hub bolts, one thing that definately should never be done is to weld them, which I have seen recommended before. As Scott said, you may need to tighten them some day. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Hear here Erik! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Good information and appreciated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration