Used spark plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Used spark plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Have you guys bought used spark plugs from Hershey
and installed them in your engine or do you recommend buying new. Do these old plugs hold up or you buy them as collectables? Langs has the Champion X's for $35ea. new, kinda steep, just wondering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

It depends how far you want to go with 'originals' to be as correct or spend the money to buy new original style like the Champion X's.
In my experience with old piugs they work most of the time. I do have to say the old set of Wizard plugs that were in my Grandfathers 24 Coupe when I got it years ago work just as well as the old Champion X.s
The new set of Motorcraft T plugs I bought for abt 3 bucks each work just as good as the Champion X's. Lots of guys use these and save their money to use on something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I'm running Champion 25 or 525, available at Napa for 10 bucks. No problems so far, but I'm still new to T' s, and only have about 500 miles under my belt.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Robert, The Sacramento Model T Club meets the last Wednesday of the month. PM me if interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

I've had old plugs work just fine, and not. I've had new plugs work, and then not. Both are usually OK. I once bought one of those expensive new X plugs just to compare it to the originals. But I certainly wouldn't spend the money for more than just that one. I buy old plugs for $2 to $5 if they look usable. If they work, great. If they don't, I'm not out much. If you want originals, buy a set of Autolite 3095 for $13 and use those while you collect a set of old plugs. Between swap meets and eBay, you can build a set of old plugs for less than the cost of one new X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Hal, sent you a PM,.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Doug:
I have re-used spark plugs in all sorts of antique applications ...cars and trucks to tractors and stationary engines ...properly cleaned and gapped they will work fine ...if the porcylin is good and insulates properly there is little else to go wrong ...always an optimist gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Gene - There is one other "characteristic" of spark plugs that supposedly has an effect on efficiency, but I've never been quite sure how important this is:

Somewhere along the line, I was somehow led to believe that an electric spark would rather jump off of a sharp point than from some other shape. In fact, as a young guy back in the early '60's, I had a friend whom I've long since lost track of, whose father was an electrical engineer. And, accordingly, this young friend of mine who was into muscle cars at the time, would remove the spark plugs from his hot rod "409" Chev', and while watching television, he'd sit there and "file" his spark plugs to keep them sharp. I guess maybe that's where I got the idea that plugs with sharp electrodes would work better. Anybody out there that knows if this makes any sense? Is it really worth the effort??? .....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Thanks guys I think ill get the new autolite or motorcraft ones. Harold, that is true, thats why they make the electrodes out of platinum and iridium and they are pointed. It takes less effort for the spark to jump from a sharp edge than a dull rounded one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I bought the repop champion x plugs but they work no better than the modern plugs for me at 10 times the cost. I am buying some old ones for my next project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 02:43 am:

Thanks for the response Doug,.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:26 am:

So many plugs were made back in the day by different manufacturers. Most were made to be taken apart and cleaned, adjusted, etc. To me these old plugs are just one more part of the T hobby that provides enjoyment. Buy up old plugs and take them apart, eliminate the broken bits, rebuild from the remaining parts, and use them. They work very well and are one more link to the past from which these cars came.

Below are links I've shared before of my photo collection of the dizzying variety of original T era plugs, advertising, and related info

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157638653764616

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157645390421884

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Erich,A very nice site! I like your Champion H-14 primers and i have ran a set of 4 in our 14 for many years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

I should add some of the photos came from the forum here as well as many other sources. Though many of these are taken by me of my items, sadly I do not own all of these plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

I have heard secondhand that plugs that use mica insulation (like the Splitdorf green plugs) deteriorate over time and will misfire if you try to run them nowadays. Can anyone with personal experience confirm or refute this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 08:31 am:

I don't know if it was because of mica, but I've tried a few of the Splitdorf green plugs, and none of them worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

I use old used champion x's. Usually, they are about $5 a piece. Yesterday at Hershey, I found a guy with a whole coffee can full of them. I asked how much. He said $25 a piece! HO LEE KRAP! I suspect he leaves hershey with the same number he came with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

I bought 4 Firestone polonium plugs brand new in the boxes with the pink insulators $15 a piece. I should grow a 3rd arm while installing them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Hal,

I am pretty sure I asked about the same coffee can!

Although my reaction was similar to yours, I did notice that the one I looked in did have quite a few Ford script Champions in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I picked out 4 Ford script Champions from the can of the guy at Hershey also and asked how much. "$100." was the response. The pieces were gently put back where they came from.

The ones I already have which I can get apart will get cleaned and refurbished. I look forward to trying them out.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I bought three Sta-Rite plugs for $5 each. Later I came across a guy who had lots of plugs, so I asked if he had a Sta-Rite to complete the set. He did, and he wanted $150 for it. I declined the honor. I bought a few X cores and complete plugs, and some oddball brands. All were $5 or less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Doug, those pink firestone polonium plugs run very well in my T. Try them out and let us know what you think. As most have said, about $5 is my buying point for most T era take apart plugs. Maybe $10 for something special. They are a fun part of the hobby to me, and they work very well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration