OT? - GM announces '"Going Fully Electric"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT? - GM announces '"Going Fully Electric"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

http://www.powernationtv.com/post/gm-announces-its-going-full-electric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

I like the idea of going full electric as long as its made affordable to the public and has the infrastructure to support it across the US. Installing charging stations in every little remote small town in the US could be a unreal undertaking. The other problem areas would be training technicians to repair the cars and training first responders on how to deal safety with car involved crashes. Battery life may depend on what part of the country you live in. Here in Florida the high heat and humidity tends to eat charging systems. Even then I would miss the sound of a well tuned V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Just another way to force you to the dealer for repair services. time to do a frame up restoration on an older vehicle so you can have something dependable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

After all the GM bailouts is GM now owned by the government? Who is going to pay for all the development? Will we be forced to drive one of these toasters? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Will- quite a few years ago I remember hearing a story on NPR (of all places!) about a younger, middle eastern immigrant entrepreneur, who wanted to form a coast to coast system of stations just as you proposed. As I recall, none would be more than the least charge away from another, meaning none more than +/- 40 miles from each other, from ocean to ocean. His major problem- no one wanted to help him fund his endeavor. His plan was to have the spare batteries, charging stations and techs to fix the cars right in one spot.

It's too bad- he was ahead of the curve. I think this was in the pre Volt days, even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

As far as infrastructure goes, I'm more than a little surprised that none of the existing gas station chains appear to be expanding into recharging. The brick and mortar is already there, as is the all the branding, plus it gives these companies an advantage in the short term and financial sustainability in the long term. I wonder what I'm missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

The way I see it is- That you cannot do a volume business in recharging EV's without a lot the size of Yankee stadium. I can fill my truck in about 5 minutes, the station makes all their money from me in that time. EV's take a long time to fully recharge, sitting there for a rather lengthy stay, giving the station a low return for the time spent waiting for a charge to complete. I've heard talk about swapping batteries out, but that creates other logistical nightmares. The internal combustion engine won this battle many years ago, electric will probably never be able to to compete with the IC engine on many different levels until they get a better power source besides batteries (Mr. Fusion?)

Until they come up with a electric truck with a 14k towing capacity, ability to drive 16 hours with limited short interruptions and is not going to be a Hindenburg in a collision, I'll keep my old diesel F250

Going "electric only" sounds like more of the bonehead thinking that got GM into trouble in the past. Oh well at least they're entertaining. Can't say I'll miss them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Tim, I think it has more to do with space verse time. Today it takes about 15 minuets to fill your car/truck with gas. A charging stating station could take an hour per car. Even if you had the space for say, 5 charging stations you lose money charging 5 cars verses filling 20 cars/trucks with gas within the same time frame. I remember once I stopped at a rest stop on I 75. About the same time a car pulled into one of those charging stations and plugged in. I rested there for about 30 minuets and left, He was still charging when I left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Dennis, You beat me to the punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

I'm waiting for John Regan of Fun Projects, Inc. (an electrical engineer) to chime in here and explain why "fuel cells" are the only logical "real" answer. (.....he has me convinced!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Time marches on. The steam engine replaced the horse - so did the Model T; the Diesel locomotive replaced the steam engine, The turbine replaced the piston engine in aircraft. If the new technology is better and more efficient, it will replace the old. There are still steam engines and piston aircraft. I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over the GM announcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

One of the big challenges with close to 100% electric cars is the public power distribution network. Its far from dimensioned for charging cars even at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Since our roads are maintained by fuel taxes, how do we tax the electrics or do they get a free ride?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Noel...Maybe a federal and state license plate, both at mega bucks. One volcano produces more gas than all the cars ever built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:36 am:

All true concerning charging etc. "Talk is cheap". The last line of the article says it all. Will the public accept this? Not if it stays at the present level of technoligy,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Electric vehicles, the so called "zero emission" answer. I know I don't have all the detailed facts, but as I understand it a significant percentage of our electrical power is generated using fossil fuel. It is, therefore, reasonable to think that significant increases in the use of EV's will produce a significant increase in the burning of fossil fuel needed to charge them.

Electricity generated using fossil fuel loses 1/3 of its power through the stack and another 1/3 in transmission resistance, delivering only 1/3 to the intended use. So, EV's are NOT ZERO EMISSIONS cars. The emissions simply are created and discharged elsewhere, and not necessarily in lesser quantities.

I know that "renewable" sources are on the increase, but are we there yet? Furthermore, the fuel reality does not take into account the environmental challenges associated with dealing with the dead batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Henry, I can't challenge your figures on energy loss through the stack and transmission resistance, but typical internal-combustion engines operate in the 25% efficiency range. Turbocharged engines do a little better, but very little of the gasoline that we burn actually propels our cars and trucks.
The electric technology will have to improve significantly before the nation goes all-electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I continue to hear about how volcanoes exceed the human production of CO2. According to an article in the National oceanic and atmospheric administration site article in 2016, a number of studies show that the average volcanic production of carbon dioxide is between 0.3 to 0.6 billion metric tons annually. The CO2 release by human activities, mostly burning of fossil fuels, currently exceeds 35 billion metric tons annually. Volcanoes release large amount of gases, but it is usually over several days, not continuous. I believe that the internal combustion engine will continue to exist for a long time, and that there are large hurdles to other energy use, but our petri dish called earth is getting fouled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

One thing for sure - you can find data to prove anything you want. Who or what do you believe? I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Oh No! Now we all need to fund catalytic converters for volcanos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Hey! Maybe we can convert the volcanos to electric!
Forever a Smarta$$
Dennis R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Well this gets discussed alot on another forum I am on and it goes back and forth for days then poops out.
All electric is not going to work in this country nearly as well as gasoline engines have. We are to spread out. If you go 10 miles a day to work each way,and want to spend 50,000 dollars on a battery powered car,go ahead. When the battery goes bad all the money you saved on gas will pay for the battery. And you have played musical chairs with your emissions. Moved it from your tailpipe to a bigger 1 at the power plant. Unless you are smart enough to charge it with solar or wind and not over load the grid .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

The tech doesn't exist. The infrastructure doesn't exist. The public won't stand for all electric without drastic changes in both these things which won't happen in the time frame "promised" by GM anyway. It's pollitically correct talk. Period. That's all it is. Right up there with the flying cars we've all been using for the past 30-40 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

it'll never replace the horse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

It dang well might replace a horse if it has alot of Artificial intelligence in it.
A horse has a mind of it's own,just as a Tesla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

BTW, just had to replace the battery pack on my daughter's 2006 Prius. Only 110K on the car. One of the cells goes bad and the whole thing is toast. I bought it for inexpensive transportation for her. Supposedly the batteries are good for over 200K! Local dealer wanted $2800 to replace with new. I took a gamble on rebuilt battery pack with old batteries in it. The batteries are too expensive and don't hold out with the current technology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I'm having trouble remembering. Who stopped the leases and destroyed the EV-1s?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

a friend has a Honda Insight,1 of the originals. The car has lasted so long and when the battery came up for replacement,Honda did it for free so they could gain access to the car and the old battery. Driving habits I think had something to do with how long it lasted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Where would the savings come in? Still takes fossil fuel in most areas to charge the batteries. Chicken or the egg? KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Gee this will be exciting. I've always wanted an ELECTRIC CORVETTE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Here you go Terry, and its faster than a gasoline powered one!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103071_all-electric-corvette-sets-ev-top-sp eed-record-video

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration