Plug Wires - 12v system

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Plug Wires - 12v system
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Suggestions for spark plug wires? Running a 12v system on the 1925 T engine. Currently has Packard TV-R suppression 2-Q-79H wires from prior owner. Motorcraft plugs F-11.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I am running 12 volt on my roadster with stock coils and wires, don't make a difference unless you plan to install a radio or something that dosen't like interference. I have even seen barbed wire used on a couple of engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

See RJ&L They carry cotton covered soark plug wires both in copper and carbon core

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

My T Pu Roadster has been converted to 12v with VW distributor and alternator. This is how it was when I bought it. Modern plug wires and boots are installed. I have not attempted to fire up yet. The engine was rebuilt sometime in the last 10 years and has set for the past 5 years. So I am going through the fuel system (new carb and gas tank), new F11 plugs, distributor points, condenser and rotor. Oh yes, a couple squirts of Marvel Mystery oil on each cylinder. The only think I lack is the new wires. I can't seem to reference the wire ID for a source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Don't use carbon core/suppression plug wires with original ignition coils. That will destroy the coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

David, the wires on my Texas T Parts distributor equipped engine are the ones I made 20 years ago.
I bought some wire at the parts store and scavenged the wires around here for ends and some boots for the cap. :-)
I'm missing it, are the wires eaten up, rotted off or??
Those Packard wires should be quiet when you have the radio blaring in the T. ;-) Sorry, couldn't help it...

Ron, would you tell us sometime why the carbon wires will destroy original Ford coils? I'd very much like to hear. :-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 05, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:31 am:

I forgot to mention that the 12 v conversion included alternator and modern coil. Just acquiring parts just in case. I suppose I will make my own plug wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Hey David, I checked in at texastparts and they do offer the T5029-D distributor spark plug wires if you need.
I'm not affiliated but that's where I got my dizzy.
http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T5029D&Category_Code=m

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration