On ebay brass era four dip pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: On ebay brass era four dip pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Brass-Era-4-Dip-Oil-Pan-/142528549194?hash= item212f5d114a:g:aYkAAOSwqF9Z1X3D&vxp=mtr

Home made or early proto-type four dipper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

And I thought I had the only early 4 dipper pan on my 16!

really though,
mine is a cut and shut between the 1&2 dippers, the ebay one is cut and shut between 2&3 dippers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Definitely home made. And not all that well done either. I can't figure out why they would have gone to the trouble to replace so much area in order to use a brass era drain? (Pure speculation? Maybe they had a really bad four dip pan and the drain on it was rusted to gone, requiring that much are be cut in.
Rolled edge (later) around the back 2/3 with flat edge (early) around the front 1/3. Inspection cover also split and joined at the same point (pretty much would need to be since the bolt placement is different).
Interesting idea though. Someone wanted the convenience of the larger inspection cover, with the quick appearance of an early correct pan for a brass era T. (Hood open, see the narrow nose, standing back from the side, see the large drain.)

I notice that it is Five Barn Auto (Jeff Randolph ?). He states right in his description that it is home-made. I was glad to see that. I know a few people have had issues with him on a couple items. But I have bought a number of things from him and always been quite happy with his descriptions, and service. I understand that he has made good on a few complaints, but I really do not know more than that. I do not know him personally. Just been a satisfied customer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Interesting Frank vE. Yours looks nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Thanks Wayne.
The only sacrifice was cutting up a good 4 dip plate, they are hard to find around my end of the world.
The narrow nose pan was all rusted out at the back and the 4 dipper had a crushed nose, so I had nothing to lose, 2 bads made one good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 01:04 am:

I have it on my watch list but had not looked at it that close. Thanks for the heads up. I too have bought stuff from him and passed on a couple of corrections and he has been more then helpful and thanked me for the heads up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Don't think I would want a 4 dip on a non 26-7 block and hogshead engine. There is no support in a 4 dip pan for engine transmission flex where as a 3 dip has a lot more reinforcement by design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 10:39 am:

If you added the back half of the 4 dip to the front half of the narrow nose, wouldn't you have the same support, as long as you used the pan corner braces? I and am sure there are a lot of others, use a 4 dip without the upper braces on pre 1926 engines. I do have the corner pan braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I am with Jeff, just too much flex. I don't think the pan supports would help that much on an early pan, Mark. To fit, you have to grind off the bend. In doing so you loose a lot of strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

4 dippers started in 1924 and corner brace, 26/7 with the extra top brace, even many a T with them left off and I haven't seen any that have given any trouble. Straightening many early ones though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Grind of what bend? As I said if you use the back half of the 26/27 pan there would be no need to grind off any bend anyway. I have a 4 dip on my 21 and have had no issues with it and as I said I have the corner braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

I tried to use the corner braces on a 1916 pan and the only way they fit is to grind off the bend on one leg. Can't remember which one. Maybe 21 is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

I have a 21 engine with a 4 dip pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Of course if you already use a four dip pan the corner braces work fine. I am speaking of early pans, like I said before. Jeez

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Richard,
it is possible that you had a bad pressed pan? or I'm just lucky that Canadian ones don't give any bother that I remember of, I have fitted several with no issues. I just tried the one now as I can't find his mate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:56 am:

What year is your pan, Frank? The supports definitely would not fit my 16 pan without grinding off the bend on one side. The pan was straight. I did it anyway because I wanted to avoid cracks at the corners. As I recall, it was still difficult to get the bolts aligned to go thru the supports, the pan and the hogshead.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration