Front wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince Rehbein on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

I have a 1922 T. How do I remove the inner bearing from the hub on the front wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Remove the grease seal and the bearing will fall out of the hub. The race can be driven out with a drift thru the 2 slots in the inner hub area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Getting that race out of the hub can be tricky (unless you use the welding trick which destroys the race, which may need replacing anyway).
There are two small notches inside the hub, behind the race. Usually, a good long yet pointy drift punch can drive them out by sticking though those notches. That was why Ford added the notches around 1919. Sometimes, if the race is really stuck, even those notches can not be enough. I made a slightly curved punch out of a piece of 3/8 steel rod, put a chisel like edge to bite into the small edge of the race. On tough ones, it has worked more times than it has failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:49 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/645450.html?1464199279

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I recommended the method in the link Jason posted, to a friend of mine. He bought the 3/8" square stock and was able to use it straight (without the bend) to remove his races. He said it worked perfectly. So, a guy might NOT need to build the entire tool as was done in that thread.

Good Luck,
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration