Top bows 1918 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top bows 1918 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Are the top bows the same for all roadsters 1915 to 24?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

No, starting in model year 1923 Fords came with a "one man" top with a different bow configuration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

By model year:

1915-17 top bow sockets are oval.

1918-22 top bow sockets are square.

For some reason, when folks are selling the square sockets, they reference 1917 but that is incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Theoretically (and IF I have my head on square), your 18 should have the rectangle cross section (curved at the top) irons and the 3 piece bows. 2 curved and the center straight piece.
17's should have the straight oval irons and curved around bows.
Any notion to the build date of the body? You know the drill, look on the RH floor riser, there may be some numbers.
(sticking my neck out) A Denver assembled car? I'm assuming Denver had a plant. Please correct me if...

There have been suggestions here that using 17 top irons and bows on an early 18 might actually be correct as the assembly plants would transition between years/changes.
Left over parts were most often used up til gone. I didn't word that correctly but the jist is the same. :-)

Mark, I have studied this subject and still struggle with this for my 18.
I have a nice set of oval straight irons and curved bows for a 17.
Well, the bows have straightened out a bit over the last hundred years so that's an issue.
The top irons/bows probably came from Bob's in the late 70's.
My no-name body is a 7-17 body. Probably Milwaukee assembled.

Shoot. You already have a top assembly on your very cool 18... Uhh, what was the question again? ;-) Love your 18 BTW. I'm stuck painting mine.

Oops. Typed too long.

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Thanks guys, Duey thank you also. I would not know one top from another but would like to find an un-restored set for my truck, the ones that were on it are incorrect and most likely were for a buggy, not T.

Just last weekend the t got a new engine and I have driven it about 25 miles since. I would post photos and video on this site but just cant seem to get it right. (this site is a bit of a challenge for some reason) I have posted on 2 other Ford sites though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Mark,

While the shape of the top sockets changed from oval to rectangular, they interchange and function fine on any 1915-1922 car.

You commented that the top bows on your 1918 are incorrect and most likely for a buggy. You also commented, "I would not know one top from another ..." You might want to post some photos (I know you said you were having troubles doing that. Usually that is cause by having the photos larger than 250kb in size). You may have the correct ones? Or you may have some made up incorrectly from a touring top? Or you may have some earlier ones -- that may be worth more than the ones that should be on your car. Or you may have some that were originally on a buggy.

Below are some dimensions and some photos:

What has that got to do with a top? It gives you the distance of the body iron that the top pivots on from the front of the body where it touches the wooden firewall. If someone installed that in the wrong place years ago -- then it will cause problems for fitting the correct top.

Below is an illustration posted several times on the forum. It is also in the book “The Model T Ford Owner” by Murray Fahnestock (available from Lang’s and other vendors and is on page 155 of the reprint see: https://www.modeltford.com/item/P9.aspx )

Below is from the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297722.html?1341620611 and shows the oval shape of the 1915-17 oval top sockets. There are a lot of other 1915-1917 oval runabout top sockets shown there. [Thank you Leon Parker for posting that.]

Below is a representative photo tha Jim Thode posted of a 1926 rectangular cross section top socket. Those are NOT the correct ones for your car but they show how the oval top sockets became a different rectangular shape. I looked but I did not find the photos I thought I had of the 1918ish-1922 rectangular top sockets.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Great information Hap. I might get lucky and find an original set to match my truck. Going to try the photos thing again.

Duey, yes Denver car, no the top irons were definitely not T, They were not wide enough for the car and had been cobbled together from much earlier iron. They went to a guy who messes with horse and buggies so I am trying to learn about what was supposed to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Duey C, can you email me? I sent a PM.

thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration