Learn something everday, you never know it all, kind of lomg

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Learn something everday, you never know it all, kind of lomg
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Wife & I have spent the last nine days at the State Fair of Virginia staying with our son and his family camping on the grounds. We brought our 1920 Touring car as we have the past couple years putting it on display at the Fair's Heritage Village. We allow some to set behind the wheel, many want a photo with or without themselves. It seems that I have heard at least 50 different variations on how the transmission works, I can see how the confusion exist. But one guy smarter than anyone really took the cake. He was explaining the operating mystery's to his buddies when he pointed to the starter switch on the floor near the heal panel and declared it the dimmer switch. Of course I am thinking you DUMMY, but I kept my mouth shut. After all he was the educated one in the bunch and was not challenged by his friends. After awhile I got to thinking that guy GOT ME, I glad I kept my mouth shut, I would not want to show I am stupid like many others. For if you think about it when you step on that switch with the headlamps turned on they will get DIMMER!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

It is my understanding HENRY FORD once said,if a day goes by and you have not learned a thing the day has been wasted. he also said live each day as tho it is your last an as tho you are going to live for ever.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Why not just cut the guy some slack and tell him that while some cars did have a floor mounted dimmer that button on the T was for a factory installed starter? I think it's pretty common knowledge among anyone the least bit interested in cars that a Model T could be crank started but I find most are surprised to learn that there were other options.

Of course if you did try and tell him and he wouldn't listen, that's another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:44 am:

Had plenty of those experts inform me about my T's

One I really like happened in Centerville Ohio.

I was out checking the Kamper before heading out for the day when a guy comes out of the motel and as he walks past, stops looks at the car and asks
"Is that a Paddy Wagon" to which I answer " No, its a Kampkar, for camping in"

Off he trots and a few minutes later two of his mates emerge from the motel and head for his car.

One of them spots the Kamper and says " look at that old car"

To which the first guy replies" The owner says its a kampkar but it not it's a Paddy Wagon"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I once saw a guy call the starter switch the dimmer, and since it was my car and I was fixin' to leave I didn't say anything. Instead I opened the door stuck the key in the ignition turned it to the left adjusted the spark and fuel and hit the "Dimmer" switch with my hand and the engine came to life so I closed the drivers door walked to the other side got in the 27 roadster, and when my wife got in we drove off. Why were people chuckling in the background? Was it because I got in before my wife?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:05 am:

I was listening to a "T" owner explaining how you had to back a T up a hill. He had a cowl mounted gas tank. Must have been some steep hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:18 am:

George, you made my day! That was too funny! I must be REALLY dumb, as I never would have thought of that!! LOL :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration