This thing is fast!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: This thing is fast!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Thanks Dave!!
Chicago 3 speed, high speed gear set, 23inch wheels. I havnt clocked it but I bet it would smoke my roadster pickup. This is what the Martin Parry cab will go on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:02 am:

What's a Chicago three-speed? I can guess what it is, but I'd love a little background on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Period aux. Transmission. With normal T you have 2 speeds. This you have 6 forward and 3 reverse. I dont know much about it yet as this is the 1st I have driven it since I brought it home. I hope others will chime in with more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Thanks Dallas!!!!! My old buddy clocked it at 42.7 with his GPS. Of course, that was with a "naked" chassis. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Dave this 23 is a great set up. I was suprised when I took off down the road. Can you give more info on 3 speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:24 am:

My TT has a Chicago in it, but not sure about the rear gears, but we had it clocked at 45 mph. Don't due that much though. Off course it's bored a hundred thousands over with high compression Pistons. The only complaint is that it sounds like your riding in a trash can. Need to get those door bumpers replaced. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Dallas, there have been discussions on the aux. transmissions on here in the past. You should be able to find them if you do a search. I don't recall just what the gear ratios are, but as I recall overdrive is just a bit faster than most of the others. Just wait until you get that Rocky Mountain transmission installed and have a double overdrive!!! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I used GPS on second drive today. 32 mph and I wasnt pushing it too hard. On a bumpy gravel road with the 8in1 bed strapped down thats plenty fast. It has been sitting since 09 so I thought it was fast. It always gets me how easy T's are to start after long periods of time. Good coils, grease, fresh gas,new oil,water and they run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Hahahaha! Hitting 32 MPH, sitting on a wooden bench, in the open, with no door and no windshield... Ya darn right that's fast!
I wanted to ask IF that's the 8 in 1 on there... :-)
My TT's front end is so badly wore out I wouldn't dare. Mmm, Yeah I would. Alone. :-)
Hehehehe!

It IS astounding how tough these little buggers are and they ARE tough.
It may take some time to coerce the little Ford back to life but by-gum a starter is awful handy then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Dallas,That's fast freight so take good care of that truck rack!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Duey, that is the 8in1 convertible truck body! A little body work and paint on the sheet metal bits and a Martin Parry cab will be in order before I work on the bed. Its in great shape. Needs new wood in floor but thats easy enough after this cab rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

This project is out of this world cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Gotta get it done Bud, its harvest season !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Duey, you ought to ride on it at 42MPH! :-) The passenger has nothing to hang on to except the firewall. No floorboards either. The driver at least has the steering wheel to hang on to. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Duey, that's why I sold my stuff to Dallas, I knew he would get it finished and use it like it should be. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Dave, that's crazy and fast! Firewall? What firewall?
Hehehehe!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

I once had a friend lay on the front fender to advance the distributor a little to get a bare tt chassis to hit 47 mph while passing another Tt. Ahh the good old days of being young and crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:35 am:

In 2008 I had my dump truck at the centennial T party. On the way home after seeing the airplanes on the grass airstrip, I encountered a really nice C-cab TT truck that would later be featured in the national magazine and on the cover. Blew past him like a bad habit. These trucks can roll with the cars, but you need overdrive and a strong engine. I have been over 50 MPH with mine. Much happier at 35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:08 am:

My old TT that I sold to Dallas has a TIRED '26 engine. The only thing performance wise that was done to it was that we redrilled the cam gear. That one small change did make a difference. As I told Dallas, after it gets warmed up, it smokes like a barn on fire, which he has found out. :-) Most likely due to rings and valve guides. It never did foul a plug though. I also sold him a Rocky Mountain Six Speed transmission that I had planned on installing also. That would make a heck of a nice setup. My old buddy and I found a '25 TT in SE. NE. in the early '60's that had that transmission in it. I got it from his widow after he passed on and then sold it to Dallas. Between my old buddy and I, we had had it for over 50 years. It will be interesting to see what that TT will do when he installs it. (you are going to aren't you Dallas? :-) :-). For you old truckers out there (That means you Bud :-) ) that remember the "4x4" two sticker transmissions back in the day, I was going to have a "3x3" two sticker transmission. :-) :-). It would make a really nice setup for parades, and with a good strong engine, a nice touring truck. I just ran out of time to do it all. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:31 am:

David,

That's an interesting coincidence. The TT that I have also came from Nebraska via way of Model-T-Haven. I think I still have the Nebraska plate somewhere. I wonder if it was a Nebraska thing for the TT's to get Chicago auxiliary transmissions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:32 am:

I also stand corrected, my dad said our top speed was about 37 mph in the TT. either way that's fast for a TT, - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:53 am:

The howl from my Chicago over drive makes me not want to use it. The under drive will do any hill and slow down a steep hill. Straight through is used most of the time. You better have good brakes because its difficult to impossible to get it back in gear unless the T is stopped. Mine has a front U joint that helps save crank alignment and I have disc brakes. Never heard of a three speed only an over and under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Matthew, 37 seems like 50 in a TT. I will be looking for aux brakes in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Paul, you just described a three speed, under, direct and over. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Dave what do you mean when you redrilled cam gear? Can you explain what and how? Me no understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 01:25 am:

We redrilled the cam gear mounting holes to change the cam timing. As I recall it changes it by 7 1/2 degrees, retarded I think. It changes the torque curve for more torque I think. It's been about 15 years ago when we did this and I may be wrong about the details. It's been discussed on here before, do a search and there should be more info. I think you can buy the gears with the change already done, and I think some cams are available the same way. It made enough difference that you could feel it. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Thanks Dave. So would the timing be set as normal. Not the lever but bringing no. 1 piston up timing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

That old truck looks like one I had. 26/27 TT. Fun to drive but smoked a bit. Wonder where that ended up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I had a 24 TT C- cab with a Jumbo Giant and overloads. I could easily get up to 35+ with the tall wheels. I also had auxiliary brakes on that which is an absolute must for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Mark, I like it! Can you find me a Jumbo giant for $75? Lol. I like the fact there is no neutral. What is it with school bus seats? Thats what my roadster had in it. GREEN!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration