A Hershey Vendor's Perspective

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A Hershey Vendor's Perspective
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:04 am:

A few changes this year from normal. Usually on the first day as we are unloading other dealers are looking over our parts to see what they can find. This year we were able to unload without this happening, which was nice. This did give us more time for set up. I thought there was a little less traffic this year, sales were down a little, but still very good. Most customers are very good to deal with, a few not so, complaining about the price and saying they shouldn't be paying that much at all, or a variation of this. In one instance even after I reduced the price by taking $20 off of the $75 item that he hadn't been able to find elsewhere. I felt like saying I'm not forcing you to buy it, keep looking elsewhere if you don't like the price. What some people don't realize is what goes into the price: first there is our cost of buying it, and prepping it for sale, then there is the cost of the spaces which was over $300, the cost of transporting it to the meet, and then the loading and unloading it again if it doesn't sell. It makes you understand why a lot of items are put on eBay. It is a lot easier and less expensive for the seller.
I enjoy Hershey and have been going since 1970, selling most of that time. We will always continue selling as long as my wife wants to man (woman) the booth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Dan donít forget Mother Nature has a big role in it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Dan, until most people start vending at the shows themselves, they will never understand what it takes to do it, and what is involved (packing, setup, dealing with people, breakdown, and unloading at home).

I shared a spot at Rhinebeck many years with a friend of mine. As you said, most people were good, a few others I wanted to choke.

First and foremost in my eyes was covering costs for the weekend. At Rhinebeck for me, that was about $200 for three days (spots, fuel, eats). When you bring alot of low dollar stuff like I usually did, it was sometimes a little scary wondering if I was even going to break even on the deal...a couple of years I didn't. Other years I was covered and then some in the first day. It's like playing the lottery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

From a Buyer's Perspective:
We are buyer's and definitely understand the extra cost that seller's have when they go to events such as Hershey as we too have additional costs. We pay for gas, tolls, $15 a day parking, meals and hotel rooms. Plus the cost of things we buy at the flea market. We have been going for years and like everyone else, want to get the best price we can possibly get but can't blame a vendor for most of his prices. Every vendor wants and needs to make a profit of some sort and every buyer wants the best price.
Everyone should understand each others challenges and work together when possible. Always be nice to each other!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

I like what this one vendor told me years ago and I follow it when ever I sell something
"I have it... you need it... this is the price take or leave it." some of you guys watch to much reality tv... I tell them at my space that this place is not the pickers or storage wars on TV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

I just sold at a local swap meet yesterday and had a guy talking crazy because he thought a original paint 32 ford truck hood was ridiculously priced @ $175. I would have taken less but after him making a scene I stuck at that price. He cussed for 5 minutes straight. I ended up selling it to another vendor for full price and he said he will sell it for $350. If someone asks about a price I will always come down. Dealing with some people is to much. Some people go with the intentions of getting something for nothing though!! I always go looking for something I can't find and know it's going to cost to get a good part...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

If I get a deal great. Good. I will ask what the lowest price is when I find the right part but after that I don't ask again or I just buy and go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

RJ, you are correct, nothing like having the best days of the meet rained out, packing up wet boxes of parts then drying everything out when you return home.

Tim, Many parts go from dealer to dealer, while someone who needs it won't pay a reasonable price. I don't know who pays the last marked up price, but in most cases I won't hold out for it. I don't want to take it back home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

As well as T parts, I sell hand tools, stocking only known quality brands.I do get cheapskates trying to chisel prices even lower. I direct those buyers to my one tray of cheap Chinese/Indian/no name junk stuff. They get the message.

I like quality tools and have a good selection of my own in each of my cars. I have trays for each type at swap meets and really don't mind if peasants don't want to part with dollars for quality stuff. It's not hard to just pack up the trays at the end of the day. If they do not recognise when they have a good deal, they are the ones missing out. I have one 18" Bahco shifter which is in almost new condition. For 3 years I have refused to let it go at my price which is one fifth of new price. I don't mind carrying good stock, so it stays with me, even if it won't fit in the trays!

Allan from down under.

Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

I would love to go to Hershey! But, it is never in our budget to drive 9 hours, gas, food, hotels, time off work and then still have money to buy some parts! I totally get where you sellers are coming from. I wish I had the budget to give it to you guys! I am forced to stay home and occasionally find a part on eBay. I can afford to pay more on eBay for a nice part even with shipping as I'm not taking off work or paying gas, food or hotel stays. I fear that is way things are going and these great swap meets will be a thing of the past. I do hope to make it there one day! I certainly am not getting any younger! I still have a few years till retirement......

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

It is the vendors job to know what his item is worth in it's current condition.
It is also the buyers job to be educated on what the item he needs or wants is worth in desired condition.
I have encountered vendors of old engine parts that think their items are gold and won't cut at all. I see that same stuff at the same spot year after year with a little more dust and more scuffs and scratches from riding mile after mile.With the scuffs and such it should be coming down in price,not remaining the same or going up.

I have thought about going to Hershey at least once. I hear about it and read about it all the time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration