Port A Potties at Hershey Car Show

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Port A Potties at Hershey Car Show
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

At the Hershey Car Show on Saturday, I was particularly interested in the Model T's and unfortunately there were about 6 port a potties in close proximity. Therefore, it was very hard to spend time looking at the T's and many other brands of cars as well. The smell, which is probably mostly caused by chemicals was overwhelming. While they are necessary to have at events, their placement definitely has to be changed.
Did anyone else have the same experience?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Arnold - I would recommend forwarding your observations to the AACA Hershey Region.

hr@hersheyaaca.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Looking at the photos of the attendees, and guessing their ages (grumpy old men), the Port A Potties might actually need to be moved closer. Please note: I am one of them. Some day- you may be one of us.

I don't smell 'nuttin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I AGREE Arnold, it was a persistent smell the entire time you were in the field with the cars, overwhelming! If you couldn't smell it you didn't have a nose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Could be they were trying to run off folks?
Nothing smells much worse than a porta john. Of course you can have alot of fun with a porta jon.
We had 1 issued to us as a Dot crew at Charlotte motor speedway. Only dot workers had a key. People leaving the race would be in droves lining up at a porta jon with a lock on it hollering they needed in. I finally put a "out of Order" sign on it.
Then the questions started.
"What can possibly go wrong with a $#&# porta jon"?
We just responded "it is full of,uh,stuff,yea Stuff"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

There is a bright side of this for those who were offended . . . i read an article the other day that said researchers are now linking the lack of a sense of smell with the onset of . . . Alzheimer's. ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

It's not likely the portable toilets are the issue. A stones throw to the south of the show field going down Hockersville Rd. there is a big wastewater treatment plant. Google Earth it, you can see it. On the north side of Hersheypark Dr. they also have a field where they spread the solids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

It was definitely the port-a-johns. They had a large "collection" of them in the area Arnold is mentioning, only it was much more than 6 units. I would say more like 15-20. When you moved away to other areas, the smell diminished greatly.

(Message edited by Sbutler on October 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Rub a dab of marvel mystery oil in each nostril.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

I canít believe I clicked on a thread about porta potties. 😦

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

They are over there, but I mentioned the wastewater plant because when the wind is blowing from the south the odor from the plant covers the whole place. My spot is in the middle of the Orange Field and some mornings it's awful. I spent most of my time with the early cars and I didn't notice it that much, but I wasn't standing right next to them, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Walter: Didn't mean to discredit your post if it came off that way. I'm sure the conditions you speak of add to the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

If you find you need to Tinkle ....

A bit more than a Sprinkle .....

Or perhaps loosen your belt to do More ......

Follow your nose to the Model T Store .....

Porta Potties Galore .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Jim, you're ill... And my kinda guy!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

No worries, I didn't take it that way. I just wanted to point out the whole place is surrounded by locations full of the offending product they haul out. I don't think most people know that. If you drive down Hockersville, it's right there by the side of the road in a giant pool and is gross as can be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

What is your shoe size FJ? Are they "Longfellow"s?

I have been to swap meets and shows that at least appeared to have put some thought into the placement of the necessary boxes. At least they ended up down wind of the meet and the malodorous bouquet was wafted away in less offensive directions. However, I would imagine that a meet the size of Hershey would not be able to do so without having them all too far away from the majority of the people in attendance, or need. I would imagine also, that the state has guidelines for quantity and distance between placements that pretty much make it impossible for the meet organizers to please all involved.

Just another view to be considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Just a thought but if those jhons were pumped and cleaned like they should have been there would probably not have been trouble. I would think a complaint to those in charge should suffice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Where shall we Place ?

The containers of Disgrace ?

Those receptacles of Malodorous Bouquet ?

Great minds connected and all did Agree ....

Where no one would notice - the Spot with the T's !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Now back to my Driving

Not a moment too Soon

For if I Linger Longer

Folks might think me a Loon ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

You're already there FJ! Hehehe!
Rich, I dunno about that. My marbles fall out faster than I can put them back in and my sense of smell is getting better... :-)

Some years back at the fall show I'm involved with, the company we get our porta's from used a vanilla scented chemical.
That was really a nice touch, I thought. They didn't reek until Sunday afternoon. They only did it the one year. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Thanks Dan, I forwarded my post to the AACA Hershey Region.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

What you actually were smelling was an older, small sewage treatment plant just over the hill behind the corvettes. That plant is soon going to close, so in the future the only thing you'll smell over by the Model Ts is pure motor oil, gasoline and maybe fresh paint from a recently complete restoration.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Hah! That is where the smell belongs, behind the Corvettes!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Terry, I hope you are correct. I actually smelled it whenever I got near any port a potty even in the flea market area but it was definitely worse in the Car Show area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 04:44 am:

Those have to be the cleanest portapotties on the face of the earth. The sewage plant is the source of the foul odor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Arnold you can get a job at Walters Port a Potty as a smell tester Go around to all the shows and inspect the Johns for proper chemicals and cleanliness

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:07 am:

In the good old days with muddy fields and the yellow field on a hillside with airplane rides, the only smell I ever noticed was CHOCOLATE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Where is the LIKE button!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Of course the porta- potties smelled, your a bunch of old guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Agreed - they were well maintained. I think the overwhelming smell was from the disinfectant chemicals. Better than the alternative, I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:36 am:

We all seem to agree there was a strong (overwhelming chemical) smell at the car show and at some of the flee market areas. I was not aware of the nearby sewage plant. I have been around porta potties at other events and this was not the normal porta potty smell. We live in a modern world and it is not difficult to make the smell from porta potties acceptable. I have been going to Hershey for years and I clearly would have remembered that smell if it had occurred in the past.

I am thinking it might have been the chemicals used in the johns. If you experienced a stronger smell at the porta potties post it here. I will send another message to the AACA. I am sure they are interested in improving the event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:12 am:

I have been to the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh WI several times. They have literally hundreds of these port-a-potties. They are serviced regularly, and I never noticed a smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Greetings Gents:

I was at the AACA Show on Saturday too. The smell you are complaining of comes from the Derry Twp. Sewage Treatment Plant which is just on the other side of the tree line from the AACA car show field. When the wind is right (meaning wrong) the odor wafts over the field. It was pretty bad on Saturday.

This situation has nothing to do with the porta johns.

Rick Benjamin
Lewisburg, PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Thank you for the clarification Rick !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Thank you Rick. It looks like the general consensus is that the odor is coming from the sewage plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Or maybe the food vendor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

If the aurora of a sewer plant was coming from just beyond the trees, how the bleep did a food vendor break even? Sheesh,If I had to smell recycled food all the while trying to shop for car parts,I would have lost my appetite real quick.

My dad worked for Duke Power company,now Duke Energy. When Carowinds,a big amusement park with roller coasters, was built,Duke ran the power lines to it. All the employees received free tickets for opening day of Carowinds. Yep,I was there the first day that place was open to the public as a kid. I remember NOTHING about that day except the Very long LINES at the bathrooms and there was water,or at least I HOPE it was water running out of all of them. Drains clogged,people lined up everywhere trying to "gopotty" Gross and I could not wait to get gone from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Was anyone else around when a porta potty exploded at Carlisle years ago? There was a bank of them right behind a vendors space near the back entrance and after a week in the sun, the methane gas had built up and when someone flicked a burning cigarette into the toilet it went "BOOM" and blew up, taking part of the vendors space with it. Quite a mess and it made for a pretty sxxttx week for that vendor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I was there maybe 5-6 years ago between gate 1 and 2 it happened at night the Fire dept had a hard time getting to it because of the people parking on the narrow roads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

I was at a show and real early in the morning a lady came by and ask where a lady could potty. I said over in the blue house. She said not in that dirty old thing. I said they just cleaned it and you will be the first user. She came back and said that wasn't as bad as I thought, She also said it has a nice place to set your purse. Well what could I say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I love the porta potty thread

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration