26-27 wire wheel modification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26-27 wire wheel modification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Can the '26-'27 wire wheel hubs be modified to accept the smaller drums and have them fit an earlier (1925) small drum rear end? I'd like to try to fit a set on my '25 coupe, and be able to use whitewall 21" tires. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Short answer is yes but don't mess with the hub, just re-drill the Emergency brake drum to fit the 5 on 5 pattern. You then fill the old holes by gas welding them and grinding clean. That's based on you wanting to keep the small drum. This will require you taking the wire wheel hub off the drum. Placing it on top of the small drum for marking the holes that need to be drilled. It will also require you to press out the lugs and once you align the holes pressing them through the drum and into the hub. You will have to tack weld the the lugs so they don't turn when you put the lug nuts on. Others may disagree. JMO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

You need brake drums with only 5 holes, not 6. McLaren will make them for you. That is what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Dave that sounds easier didn't even think about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

What you need to do find is a pair of these.

T have only seen one pair in all my travels. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Thanks for the info guys. What a great site. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Here are a few pictures of what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Thanks for taking the time to do this Chris, it's exactly what I needed to see. Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration