Holley 4550 carburetor.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley 4550 carburetor.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

Hi All,

I need to rebuild two Holley 4550 carburetors and 12 1912 Heinze coils for someone here in Belgium.
The coils need a total rebuild, all secondary winding are open and need to be replaced.

The two carburetors need also to be rebuild. As I never did this carburetors before, I have a few questions.
- What size are the float?
- The Holley G float do not work for this but can I use the replacement Kingston L and L2 float to make a float??
- Is there a gasket between the bowl and the carburetor core?
Are there some points that need special attention during the rebuild?

I will post photos tomorrow.

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Andre, once you have the float problem sorted out, the usual fault with the 4550 carbs is the fuel control needle. It is an unusual design which operates upside down compared with other carbs. the needle wears in its seat and as it does the carb is prone to dump fuel. On my 1912 Haigh's chocolate van the carb performed brilliantly for 20 years, but as time passed, it began to give troubles once in every ten or so stops, dumping fuel under the car.I could start it up again and then shut her down and the problem would be fixed, but it needed to be addressed. Stan Howe rebuilt two for me, a two screw one and a three screw one. He retro fits a viton needle and seat to operate in the usual manner, to get around the troublesome original set-up.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Hi Andre,

If you scroll through the thread in this link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/344452.html?1362009798

you will find postings from Stan Howe regarding the modification he performs on those carburettors.

As Allen reports and I must concur, these carbs have a fiendish needle and seat. I have repeatedly battled that style and have yet to find joy.

The carb on my '14 Metz Model 22 (manufactured by the American Watch Tool Company) is a copy of the Holley and it overflows when the engine is not running. I have installed an inline shutoff valve until I can vanquish that miserable float valve.

Good luck Andre, with your projects. Bill

The odd needle and seat

The Metz carburettor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:52 am:

As promise yesterday here few photos of the carburetors just after the disassemble.

Bill thanks for the link I made a pdf and saved it in my files

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Just a thought. If the float you need is slightly smaller than the Holley G float, yet slightly larger than the common later Holly NH and Kingston carburetor floats that are available from the model T parts suppliers?
I can't remember what carburetor it was that I was resurrecting a few years ago, but the float was beyond salvage, so I looked in my miscellaneous junk carburetor box, and found a '20s Carter carburetor that was used on four cylinder Chevrolet and other cars of that era. Its float was in between the common T float sizes, and with some alteration of the hinge and "push-point" for the valve, worked fine.
It was a few years ago, but at the time there was a place called "The Filling Station" that catered to early Chevrolet parts. They were easily found on the internet.
A quick look found this page from their online catalog:

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Two early floats appear there, both a bit pricey. One at about $75 US, The other at about $120 US (ouch). I am glad when I needed one, I had one in in my junk box. And no guarantee they can be made to fit your application.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:44 am:

There is a John Deere Two Cylinder float this will work and is brass I will try to come up with a part # from my notes was about 8 years ago.Someone else may also have this information. Think it was a early un -styled B . Lots of them around .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration