Dash light wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dash light wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Hey guys, what's the best way to wire up a dash light? Tie into the 'Bat' wire on the ignition switch (or the ammeter since it's less busy over there) or should I be tying into the taillight wire so it can only come on when the lights are on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

one wire to the ammeter and the ground if its a repop to the mounting screws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Connect it to the tail light circuit at the terminal block and put a fuse in series, some of the aftermarket dash lights are not reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Put it on the live side of the ammeter if you want it to work with the key off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Thanks guys, I ended up tying into the tail light wire at the terminal block. I figured I had no reason for the Dash light to be on if the other lights weren't on plus having it wired in any way that was always hot made me nervous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Brad,
What size fuse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Hi Charlie: Any fuse between 2 amps and 10 amps will be good enough to protect against a short circuit at the lamps switch. A members car had this problem and without a fuse it burned part of the wiring under the dash before we could break off the hot wire. It is fortunate that it happened when someone was close to the car and noticed the smoke. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Thanks,
Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I'll keep the fuse in mind for when I rebuild this switch, probably in the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:08 am:

I can't believe some of you guys, wanting to complicate such a simple item! Dash lights didn't come with or need a fuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Any electrical circuit should be fuse protected to prevent a short circuit from burning up the wiring and possible causing a fire. Brad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration