Gas stations will be a thing of the past.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas stations will be a thing of the past.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:11 am:

GM Announces It's Going Full Electric
GM said itís taking it a step further. The goal is to abandon the internal combustion engine entirely. At some point in the future, all of its products will draw power either from batteries or hydrogen. Last year, all forms of electrified vehicles accounted for not even 3 percent of the U.S. new vehicle market so the question now is will consumers accept this change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I figure a little over a hundred years ago consumers were given the choice of gasoline, electric, steam, or horse. For various reasons gasoline was chosen, probably largely economy and infrastructure but there could easily have been other influences and propaganda too.

Now we have the electric folks thinking their technology has advanced to a stage where they're superior, or at least competitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:26 am:

The Service Station is already a thing of the past. Now we have convenience stores that happen to sell Gasoline right next to the frozen Yogurt and potato chips So you can add an extra 1000 calories to your kids diet when you fill up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Jetsons anyone? LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Speaking of the Jetsons, I'm waiting for the car that folds itself up into a light briefcase at the push of a button! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

People will be very happy with electric vehicles when:
The real-world range is 300 miles if re-charge takes less than 10 minutes (or 500 miles if it takes hours)
and
The cost, which is currently 50% higher than the equivalent ic engined vehicle, comes down.

And it may be sooner than you think:
http://newatlas.com/toshiba-scib-battery-triple-range/51667/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I think with the batteries they are working in the wrong area! What they need to do is come up with a motor that doesn't require as much amps to move a vehicle down the road something equivalent to the difference between an incandescent bulb and an LED light then EV's will be a viable form of transportation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

For lighter automobiles electric will become very popular. I wonder about machinery that needs a lot of torque like lawn mowers for tall, thick grass, tractors for crops, road graders and bulldozers for heavy construction and semi's to haul heavy loads down highways? Locomotives are already diesel-electric but a total electric locomotive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Some liberal in California is already drafting legislation that all electric vehicles have a tiny speaker In the front to broadcast "combustion engine" sounds so dumb asses on their cell phones don't walk into the street and get run over.
Our government protecting us from "quiet" cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Hey can we make that sound a well tuned V-8? like this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71gCGvkku4&list=PLcMc2atdHdbpYEOVhooOg0LoM-2e78 bAy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Taxes will be the easy part, big brother can simply track how many miles you drive to figure what you owe. Device has to be installed and functioning or the car wouldn't run. Of course they wouldn't track where you went, how fast, or your driving style like some insurance companies would like. Big brother would never do that, right? Hmm, maybe they could automate speeding and reckless driving citations?

I sure like my Model Ts. I wonder if those tracking tools would run on 6 volts and get along with buzz coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Eventually, the earth will run out of gas anyway. I'm not going to worry about it. Maybe my great grandchildren will, however, the way the modern generations are going, they might not even want to drive a car.

They don't even seem to be interested in family heirlooms. My nephew inherited a handgun my great grandfather used in the civil war and my nephew sold it to buy drugs. That's why the antique stores even have old family photographs because the younger generation don't care about their ancestors.

I'm sure that I will be able to get enough gas to last as long as I do.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

There is a lot of torque in the modern electric driveline. The problem is the energy density of the lithium-ion and lithium- silicone batteries. To much weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

I think electric cars are going to be great. Everyone should have one.

I just can't figure out how they're going to keep the extension cords from getting tangled. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

If I remember correctly, back in 1907 I believe it was, all the taxis in New York were Electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

In many places the total electric railroad engines have been with us many years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:44 am:

If it was pratical I would see it in Thailand, there you have most everything. Everything can include a hand cranked super low geared single cylinder diesels (the motor is a box that can be dropped into a plow, tractor, or truck) very similar to a TT including speed. Most taxis are lpg, cars are gasoline while small trucks are gas or diesel like the little 4 clyinder we got. Large semi trucks are often CNG with a stack of tanks behind the cab. When you drive into a gas station there is a list of about 7 different options. I haven't seen electric cars or charging stations . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration