OT; 1910 Mitchell I actually got to help with today.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT; 1910 Mitchell I actually got to help with today.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Denny Newman of Clio received this 1910 Mitchell this morning. The clutch was locked up on it and Mr Newman not knowing any better actually asked me to help him get it unstuck. What a historical work of art this beast is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Wow. -That is one bee-U-tee-ful machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Great pictures of a great car !!! WOW !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

That is a very well known Mitchell. It was formerly in the Winthrop Rockefeller collection and then it was owned by Harrah's for many years. Now it is owned by a well known Michigan collector. I have been on several tours with this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

What kind of clutch does it have, cone or plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Yup Ron you are right. I got to meet Bill McMullen today for the first time. What a great and kind man. In his 90's his mind and personality are still sharp as a tack. Fun day !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Mark, the clutch is a cone shape with a thin layer of leather riveted to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Tell the new owner that anytime the car is stored, the clutch should be slightly disengaged to prevent it from getting stuck. This can typically be accomplished with a block of wood wedged between the clutch pedal and another part of the car.

For example, my dad has a 1910 IHC Model F roadster with a leather faced cone clutch. He puts a block of wood between the clutch pedal and the transmission frame. On his 1927 Hupmobile, he used a long piece of wood wedged between the pedal and the seat riser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

It was built in Racine, Wi. Same city the RAJO comes from. The Mitchell company started out as a wagon maker and must have been a big competitor to the Studebaker company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks Erik, will do.

Dave you are correct Denny Newman looked it up Thx.

Very impressive horseless carriage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Correction... "John" McMullen not "Bill" sorry for the screwup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Hi Don, that is a great looking car. Did you get the clutch unstuck. Look, ---if you are going to work with Mr Newman like that, you might want to get yourself a "Team Newman" shirt to wear. Just kidding!
We had a good Model T tour yesterday --great weather--went up around Clare/Beaverton area. We missed you and your Bro.Bob. Next time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Is that car "over restored" or did it really have all that bling on it when new? I'm so glad my T is just a driver that only needs a two minute wipedown after a drive. Beautiful car though, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Mitchell's are great cars. They run very smoothly, shift easily and have good power, a very nice car for touring. I owned a 1911 4 cylinder touring for a number of years, my son now owns and enjoys it. He is now the third generation of the family to own the Mitchell that his grandfather restored in the 1950's from a basket case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/tp/id/34929

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 12:50 am:

I never realized Mitchell built cars like THAT!
WOW.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration