Some 1912-1913 Heinze coil questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Some 1912-1913 Heinze coil questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

1; Does anyone have a wiring diagram. I have an idea how they are wired but I want to make sure.

2; How do you get the side off to replace the capacitor? Are they glued or is the rosin filler holding the sides in place?

3; Is the filler material rosin, it's not tar. Is it ok to replace with tar like the newer coils?

I know I had 4 questions but can't remember the last one but these will get me going. Thank you in advance.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Call R.V. Anderson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Mark.'ll second Tim's recommendation.. R.V. Anderson is the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Hopefully someone will answer within this thread. I'd like to know also

Thanks

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Heinz coils are really not very good, as the points don’t have the “rebound spring “ that all later points have. By my experience the only good way to use Heinz coils is with a E timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 01:49 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/712510.html?1484321536
Here a discussion I started in January this year.
I hope R.V. will walk by to complete it.

It show the way I do it and the advice R.V. give me. For me it was a great help and since than I rebuild a few more (15 to go at this time). I learned to use them and learned a few friend how to use them..
For the questions:
I use tar to replace the brown stuff just to eliminate vibration of the wires and the capacitor.
The wiring is similar as the common coils.

About 90% of the Heinze coils I rebuild have an open secondary coil I replace it with good Ford coils or by the coils the part dealers offer.

Sometimes the boxes are hard to open. I use a paint stripper hot air gun to "warm" the box and they will come apart. I said warm it up not burn it.

Hope this helps.

Andre
Belgium

This photos are my new challenge I need to make it run again. Coils are no good to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Thank you that link is a great starting point. Esp suggestions on getting the side off.
MarkG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration