Hope all are OK in California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hope all are OK in California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

With all the fires going on in California, here is hoping all forum members and their families are safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

I too hope all is well and safe with out T families. My cousin, who lives in Santa Rosa, evacuated this morning around 2:30 AM. We have friends in the Grass Valley area. And on and on...

If you're in an area told to evacuate, do it! Stuff can be replaced. You cannot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

That should read, "...with our T families." Proof read......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Santa Rosa seems to be getting the worst of it. Whole neighborhoods wiped out, several hundreds of homes and businesses destroyed so far. Very active model T and horseless carriage groups in the area, but I don't know the whos or wheres that could be affected.
Another really bad one in the Sonoma wine area, also many homes destroyed.
Our foothills area not nearly so bad, but bad enough. The smaller of the two major fires in Nevada County is barely a mile from my house (as the crow flies, about four miles driving). However, the winds are favorable for us, and we are fine.
The big one in our area is just a few miles farther away from us, but two of our forum occasional posters are very close to it. Phil Lawrence (who recently posted for floor covering recommendations for his new model T garage) is very close to the fire itself, but like us (according to google maps), the winds are favorably blowing the fire away from him.
The one I am worried about is Terry and Terrie Horlick in Penn Valley. He moved a few yeas back, and with my family demands I haven't gotten over to see his new place since he moved. I don't know exactly where they are now. But most of Penn Valley is under evacuation advisory, and the upscale fancy gated community about a mile across the highway from Penn Valley has been evacuated as the fire is heading towards them.
This fire is approaching 900 acres and 40 structures destroyed. It is located in a sparsely populated hilly area. If it does reach Penn Valley, it could be really bad really quick.

Hey Terry! You out there? Doing okay? Need anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Also a really bad one in Southern California, near Disneyland! Few trees, little grass, just whole neighborhoods of homes built close together!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 01:29 am:

I think Terry's in a "safe place" right now, but if it jumps Hwy 20, things could get bad fast.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 02:59 am:

Hey David D,
The evening news showed a fire map and included three fires near Oroville! (One was near the dam.) I do hope you are keeping clear again.

I never know how much to believe the TV news-hype, but they are saying this may be the worst October in Califunny history for wildfires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Just an awful mess. My prayers go out to all involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I really hope it will rain very soon. I heard some Canadian fire fighter will go to help Californian neighbor. My prayers go out to all involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:48 am:

First I heard of this. My daughter is a nurse P at Keizer in Santa Rosa she lives in lake Port. A few weeks past she hit a deer on the way home was told last week her car was a total and had to get another by yesterday. Hope my California family is OK no word yet. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Wayne,
So far we are doing fine. Didn't have power for a night and a day, which for us is a crisis, as we are on a well. I guess I'll have to get a stand-by generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:06 am:

This fire is serious, Daughter drove from her stay in Santa Rosa to the hospital that was being evacuated Two hundred were in one hour----exploding propane tanks and ash were going on around her the only way she made it to the hospital was with her nurse ID getting her through the road blocks.
She is back in Lake Port with a rented car now much of the area is without cell service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Our son Dan sent a picture of Kaiser in Santa Rosa surrounded by flames. It looked like the trees around it were in fire. Don't know if any buildings were burned. His commute to work was changed because Highway 37 had been closed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

My daughter mailed me from Lake Port---grand daughter and children are OK with out water electric phone and PC. I will never bitch about our rain again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

My daughter mailed me from Lake Port---grand daughter and children are OK with out water electric phone and PC. I will never bitch about our rain again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 12:10 am:

David et al, We're doing ok, I detailed my answer on the other thread.

I learned that a backup generator isn't a guarantee of power. My generator failed after an hour. The local Cal Fire base flys fire retardant for the Northern half of California. When we lost power they did too. The went on to their emergency backup generator for a while until it failed. They fixed it but quick as you need electricity to pump retardant into aircraft. The aircraft can't drop retardant if you can't load it due to a deficit of electrons!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Daughter mailed me this morning from lake Port. A distance from Santa Rosa her car is packed and full of gas ready to move fast if she has to. Winds are changing direction sky is glowing different areas. Grand children in Willits are with out all utilities that's far north of Santa Rosa,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Paul. I have a daughter a couple of miles from Lake Port at te north end of Clear Lake in old lake bottom.
Have you heard if there has been fire in Upper Lake or Lake Port? I hear nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Nothing yet Aaron----I will post if I do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Aaron Daughter said a very small fire 80 percent contained in that area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration