Betsy Gets A Front Fender Brace

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Betsy Gets A Front Fender Brace
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Betsy's front fenders have sagged a bit - I had tried to install an accessory brace in the past, but it was too short for me to install, apparently Betsy's front fenders had already sagged too much. I ended up selling the brace to another forum member

I saw another accessory brace this year at Hershey, and the price was right, so I took a chance and bought it. This one was a little longer to start with, so I was able to install it and pull the fenders up a bit.

I've always liked the look of these things on other folk's cars, but now that I've installed this one on Betsy, I have mixed feelings about it - what do you think?

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Period accessory looks great !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

I like mine but took it off after I painted the fenders. Since it was on since Teresa's grandpa owned the car I keep planning to put it back on. It rubs on the radiator shell so has been likely a bit to far rearward. I like them and think they look good on a T, especially one used on rough roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Looks good Mark, haven't seen one quite like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Mark, I think this is the brace you have or one very similar to it. I think Jay posted this photo awhile back. I have one just like it. so I copied the pic . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

I understand the ease of a fender brace for getting some more life out of a tired car way back whenever, but isn't there a forging or something up under the fender that can be bent back up for proper support?

*Note: my opinion probably doesn't matter since my car is a 26 with a factory fender brace tying the headlight mounts together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

I think it looks good.I wouldn't mind 1 of those on my truck.
But I do have a question. If you look under the drivers side headlight and you see the gap between the fender and the bottom radiator piece, it looks like the fender may be pulled up a bit to much does it not? can't see the gap to well on the other side but it almost looks equal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Perhaps sit on it a couple weeks and lift the cover every now and again and have a look-see. :-)
I like the Fender Form Bracket from Met products on the Center Door down in the woods. Similar to your set-up but it took awhile to like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Does anybody make them? I could use one on my TT. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I've got the same brace on my '24 touring. Since the bar runs right up next to the radiator shell, I have a couple pieces of rubber hose over the bar at that point to avoid damage.

bar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:52 am:

I also slipped some rubber hose onto the bars where they come close to the radiator shell.

I'll leave it on for now and drive the car a few times with it to see if it squeaks or has any other undesirable qualities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Dollar General!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:32 am:

My unrestored 23 came with one and so I will leave it there, but on a nice shiny car I'm not too keen about them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration