Father Son Axle project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Father Son Axle project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I figured I would start a new thread on the Axle project. It was removed out of the car pretty easy. Took and split the case, was able to get the passenger side case off the axle shaft. The drivers side wouldn't budge, so we commenced to pry and hit with a brass hammer, only moved a few inches. The outer bearing on the break shoe end, finally came out with some persuasion. The bearing on the differential end, nope, so I took the gear off the axle, removed the ring gear, so I had access to the bearing. I drilled all the way through most of the rollers and the endplate came off, I cannot grab any of the rollers with pliers to pull them out. I used a large gear puller and was able to move the axle out of the housing a few more inches coming out the differential side. The bearing is out about two inches, it's a very tight fit, not sure what else I can do beside possibly putting heat to the area where the bearing is located around the housing, or try to drill a few roller bearing totally out with a bigger drill bit, I'm kind of running out of things to try, but making some slow progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Joseph, I can't quite follow what you have done to get as far as you have. However, if the bearing is still in place and the axle is out a couple of inches, you will have driven an un-machined, larger diameter section of the axle into the bearing. That will lock things up. If this is the case, the axle will need to be pushed back into its usual place. The axle housings should simply lift off the axle/diff assembly, leaving the inner bearings on the axle.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Allan, Thanks for your info, I believe your correct, I can try your idea and see how it works out, this thread was originally under Engine Rebuild father son project. since that topic ended up on the rear axle, I thought moving to a new thread would be best. The axle was removed for inspection of thrust washers, as it turns out the thrust washers were Babbitt not bronze, so I decided to take it apart to install bronze, that's when my son and I couldn't remove the axle out of the drivers side housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Alan, it worked, we drove the axle back and out, now to create a list and order all the part I need to reassemble this axle. Thanks everyone for your wisdom and assistance, this father son project is moving along again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Joseph

the dealers sell a thin manual regarding rebuilding the rear end. You may find the money well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Scott, Thanks for the information, I already own that publication, plus the Service Manual, they both have GREAT information.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Here's the tail end of the rear axle job. Except for the radius rod lock washers being in front instead of in back where they belong, I think it's correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Steve, great video thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Mayne on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Steve, Great video, .Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

I figured I would continue with cleaning and inspection of the drive shaft assembly. It looks like there is a washer between the pinion gear and the sleeve bearing, is that suppose to be there?Pinion assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

My son and I completed the rear end rebuild, we put the rear end back under the car, hooked it up. Started up the car and put in low gear, everything seems to be working correctly, no noises...

The reason for the problems with the one axle housing was it's bent, found that out upon assembly. Had to find a replacement, this turned out to be a very fun and exciting project. Will finish up with relining the emergency breaks and ensuring everything is tight and road worthy again.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge you shared with us, really appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Joseph

so glad to hear of your success, and better yet that you are building great memories.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration