Looking for info on this Speedster body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for info on this Speedster body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

So this Speedster body followed me home from Hershey last week and I was wondering if anyone knows any history about it.

The gentleman I bought it from purchased the complete car for the engine and wheels a year ago. He said the car was built by Waxie Schneider from Massachusetts and was run in the Great American Race in 1986 and 1988.

The body still wears the stickers from the 1988 race and a badge on the firewall from the 1986 race. I have found a couple videos on line from the races and was able to find a few quick shots of the car during the races.

I am excited to get back to work on my Speedster project since this body will really help jump start my progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Ed:
should be pretty easy to trace the owners and Great Race history ...the finish records of the Great Races will list the driver/navigator and will list the owner ...usually the Great Race vehicle # will also have the Rally year ...I did support for 7 years and will say that there were only a few model T's used as rally vehicles ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

I would say a body in that shape should move a speedster project along in a hurry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Looks to me to be a County Fair Racer That was built by Paul Larson in Clear Lake Iowa? If so it is patterned off of an original body that Paul found many years ago? They were sold by him & also marketed through all the major T parts dealers! I now own the project & hope to make them available again when I get my shop finished! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Very nice. I like the gas tank saddle treatment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Ed:
I looked for the old Great race website ...gone...Corky Coker has an interest in the new Great Race along with Hemmings motor news ...they probably have all the rally history for that vehicle ...also they may have competed in one of several Great Race spinoffs like the Sugar Valley Rally in Scottsbluf Nebraska ...a nice looking tub that should be on a running chassis and being enjoyed and admired ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Ed:
am adding a picture of my similar built speedster ...this is model A power currently and will be made back into a 1921 model T powered speedster ...the T chassis is currently fit with model A front and rear axels and 4 wheel brakes ...these will remain inplace with the T engine/trans. unit...always an optimist...gene frenchspeedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Gene,

Nice speedster! I like how it looks with the turtle deck. What are you using for a windshield and posts?

I had checked The Great American Race website also and didn't see anything either. I sent them a message asking if they had anything archived from the races in 1986 and 1988 such as pictures or race results. They replied back that they have no archives since the race has had several owners over the years. I just bought a yearbook from the 1988 race off of eBay and I am hoping it will contain some information.

Iowa John,

It's funny you mentioned the County Fair Racer bodies. I first saw one in the catalogues and then the first year I went to Hershey there was one on display. I always liked that style body and decided that I would like to use one when I built a speedster. Unfortunately, by the time I found a running chassis the bodies were no longer offered in the catalogs and I believe the gentlemen that made them passed away. I am not sure if this is one he built or not. Good luck with your project!

Here are some more pictures of some of the race and event plaques that are on the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8sUjuwLk4k

1986 Great American Race

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Waxie Schnieder and his car body on video for a couple of seconds,
at the 7:28 mark on this video.
Link to a good starting point of video:

https://youtu.be/qCTzWVNnGJw?t=7m4s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Scott & Jason,

Thanks for posting those links. I have seen those short clips of the car in '86 & '88.

I also found that it was in the 1987 Great American Race as well and there are some longer clips from this video.

Finishing first leg of the race:
https://youtu.be/xSQ6yqA_5MM?t=8m45s

Diagnosing a broken crankshaft:
https://youtu.be/xSQ6yqA_5MM?t=25m53s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Ed:
windshield post are 1923/24 Ford T post that I bent to fit ...windshield frame hinges at the top and the glass is trimmed to match the cowl shape ...was easier to grind the glass than to try to bend a windshield frame to match the non-symmetrical cowl ...I will build a stop panel for the windshield when I can get back to my projects ...with the slightly modified A engine and 4 wheel brakes this car is a blast to drive ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Ed:
forgot to mention that I have shortened the cowl by 8" ...I am just over 5' 7" tall and a person well over 6' could have driven in this speedster body ...I couldn't reach the pedals in the original configuration ... this seems to be a home build using steel sheet stock that was bent over an angle iron sub frame ...there is no wood structural members ...wood floor boards and seat back and seat bottom ...I have added 3 1/2" to the bottom of the turtle deck to allow the use of a oval gas tank in the trunk ...will add an extension to the filler to allow filling the gas tank more conveniently ...model T springs are used and the front radius rods are shortened to allow the use of the model A axels ...also when I re-install the 1921 T engine I will use a u-joint that I fabricated to couple the T square output to the splined A driveshaft ...steering is 1929 model A box and 1 u-joint ...when the T engine is re-installed it will have a Chev. cylinder head conversion and I will have to modify the T hand brake lever...always an optimist ...gene french

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration