Duey_C. Carbon tracking/arcing in a wet coil box, can we SEE it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Duey_C. Carbon tracking/arcing in a wet coil box, can we SEE it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

The wind-up.
Had a week of rain and I forgot (FORGOT!) to re-cover up Lucky the TT so things got wet. Jordy Verrill, you nulnkhead. :-/
(This ol TT is a cobble-job of things put together to keep it going back in the day.)
Between the cowl and the firewall is like a funnel on the coil box. A cover? No. Too lame-brained for that. :-/

The buddy Jim and I went back at it as I was ready to move the truck to a better spot down in the woods. (And make him [coach him to] drive THAT different TT! :-)
No control shaft (emergency brake shaft) with a Warford. He's interested to learn so I help him learn these T's!)
More room around it, can get the mower down there around it and not much grows anyway in the spot I prepared trimming trees and moving a few T frames blah blah. :-)
He had stopped out and we had it running the week before. He's a fair study at learning to crank a T (TT this time), "Just relax and don't work so hard at it." Unless I asked him to twist it's tail (windmill). :-) Timers are always set real close if not a trifle late. :-) No mistakes.

OK, the coils and box were wet, we had one cylinder firing as he's cranking his ass off, not quite enough...
All four coils were buzzing when they were supposed to.
We walked away on Oct 3rd.

Today, I pulled the box and coils to get this mess straightened out.

box

Had some snugging-up to do on this side of the coil box. I need to go after these terminals with the wire wheel in the Dremel tool yet.
OR, in preparation for the Regan kit.

box

This inside view looks perfect as far as I can see.
The camera refuses to show the extent of the original black paint in this coil box and other times the camera will show the hideous green paint on the block and trans cover of one of my other T's when my eyes cannot see it at all.... :-)

Hmmm, another question for another day, paint back then contained more lead than we get now and John R. warns against painting the wood in the coil box as some paints may conduct electricity...
Do you catch my drift?

Ari

Even had a coil hauler here to help get the coils inside to dry in front of the furnace. :-) Hammed up and ready, and he smiles like his uncle Nathan!

The pitch.
After all of my babbling, here's the meat and potatoes.
1 Is it possible to see the carbon arcing/tracking on that back board?
2 Is it possible that no arcing happened in the back board with a completely wet coil box and coils other than internal in the coils? That's bad.
Another buddy had the same issue last year. Wet=no run good.
3 Was the arcing internal on the back board of this wet coil box, so we cannot see it?
4 The "piece de resistance"! (think French) What did the fellas do, back in the day to erase/eradicate the arcing/tracking IF they weren't Ford mechanicians with a parts store at hand? Dry it all out?

I have not YET called John R. at Fun Projects yet for replacement bits for this and the buddy's TT's coil boxes. Going to.
I have not YET called Andy to get these coils up to snuff. Going to.

What do you guys think? Read it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I got my coil box wet in a rainstorm driving home one day. Took the box off and put on another one. Put the one that was wet in a dry garage in the summer with 100+ degree days. After a month of that, it still was shorting out. I'd get the Regan kit on order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Blue tarp from Harbor freight!
I doubt you would see the carbon track unless you split the wood layers apart.The 1's I have saw was the rosin in the wood made a path when wet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

It happened to me twice and I could see the carbon trail both times. I have a picture but I would have to search all 14.000 pictures on this computer to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

Home run.

Hah! I don't even watch baseball!

Per usual, you guys are awesome!
Thanks much! :-)

(me, to the original black plywood in the coil box)
"You're outta here!"
Shoot, that still makes me ache, casting out that ol' wood. :-/ Yet, I understand it. :-)
"Son, you're not fit for the task, we have to replace you." :-)
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration